FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lower cost alternative to P2 cards and Firestore?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Lister
Lower cost alternative to P2 cards and Firestore?
on Jan 24, 2012 at 11:18:19 am

Is there a lower cost to using either P2 cards or a Firestore drive?
Can you use a laptop and external drive somehow? Before I can afford any P2 cards or a Firestore, I need some work, but I can't get any work without the GD cards or drive! Melbourne, Florida is terrible for getting any video work!

Thanks,
Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: Lower cost alternative to P2 cards and Firestore?
on Jan 24, 2012 at 2:31:33 pm

Get at least one P2 card and carry an old laptop that can read it to backup (you may need to install the drivers).

You may buy a used P2, if you don't care taking the risk of getting a damaged one. I did it and has not fail me.

This is good for a planned production. In a social event like weddings this is not a solution because download times to the laptop can be long. You'll need to get at least two cards and an assistant that download one while you record in the other.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Phil Lister
on Jan 24, 2012 at 4:27:45 pm

Uh...well that didn't answer my question really. You mean to tell me, that there's nothing else out there cheap, that you can connect to the GD camera??? WTF????

Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 24, 2012 at 5:43:12 pm

The only options are P2 or Firestore. That's it. You can try to send a signal via firewire to your laptop, but that is NOT trustworthy by any means. The computer can stop recording because of dropped frames, the cord might fall out, the drive might stop. I have seen too many complaints on the Cow about people doing this and something happening to say that it is a good option.

a 32 GB P2 card is $425. 64GB is $650. 32GB can hold 30 min of 1080...and over 80 min of 720p 23.98. 64GB holds an hour of 1080, and 160 min of 720p.

Why would you invest in a camera if you couldn't afford the recording media? There are other options. The HMC-150 shoots AVCHD and to SD cards. a 32GB one holds over an hour, and is under $100.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Phil Lister
on Jan 24, 2012 at 5:55:07 pm

Because it is used and it fell within my price range. Besides, I thought by now, the GD card prices would have dropped...a lot!!

Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 24, 2012 at 5:57:11 pm

They did. It used to be $1600 for a 4GB card. Now it is $650 for a 64GB card. And when the 32GB cards first came out, they were $1600...now they are 1/4th that.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Jan 24, 2012 at 6:19:09 pm

$354.95 for a new 16GB card doesn't sound that crazy to me.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618137-REG/Panasonic_AJ_P2E016XG_AJ_P...

Return to posts index

Phil Lister
on Jan 24, 2012 at 6:21:16 pm

You're nuts then! How can they justify the price???

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 24, 2012 at 6:34:59 pm

I think the original price was based on the R&D it took to make them. Now, it's on what's inside. P2 cards contain four SD cards that are raided together in a unique way, so that they can record DVCPRO HD, and AVCIntra, that is 4:2:2 color space, and in the case of AVCIntra, 10 bit, full raster.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 24, 2012 at 9:49:45 pm

Hehe- you should have seen the prices when P2 first came out. That said, AVCHD/SDHC card cameras like the AF100 and AC160 are in my opinion way more bang for buck than P2 unless you really need that extra edge of quality from DVCPROHD.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 24, 2012 at 11:38:57 pm

Sell your camera - go the SD card route.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Phil Lister
on Jan 24, 2012 at 11:49:16 pm

Oh yeah...just like that! I don't have tons of money man!! I shot my wad on this "paper weight" of a camera!! I also only paid $1,200.00 for it. I don't have enough to buy an SD capable camera!!

You guys are amazing! I wish I could get the GD work in this area, but newsflash...there isn't any in this God-forsaken part of the globe!! I had to move here because I'm my Mom caregiver!!

You guys are amazing! Just sell your camera...hahahaaa!! Very funny!

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Phil Lister
on Jan 24, 2012 at 11:50:24 pm

Can we just shut this thread down already????? Sorry I even asked my original question!!!!! Sheesh!!

Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 25, 2012 at 12:26:52 am

You could easily get into a Canon 60D for that budget. Starting with a used P2 camera and expecting dirt cheap media is not doing enough research.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Chris Jeremy
on Jan 25, 2012 at 11:52:58 pm

The Firestore FS-100 has reached "end of life" and Focus Enhancements' parent has been dumping the last of them on the market real cheap. I picked up two of them (with some accessories too) for my HVX200 and 200A for less than $500 each. Can't do better than that.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Jan 28, 2012 at 12:10:03 pm

Phil

people are helping you here.. you need to sit down with a nice cup of tea.. and look for another line of work..

Good luck to you sir..

Return to posts index

Jonathan Barnes
on Feb 18, 2012 at 10:10:55 am

You think a P2 Card is expensive? I started in this field with a used Arri-16s. Try buying 400' of 16 mm color film, THEN dump more money to process it, AND STILL NOT KNOW IF YOU GOT THE SHOT!

What you spent on your camera was a good price. But like getting a purebred dog, too bad you did not research how much it costs to feed it beforehand. In the big picture though, P2 IS reusable many times over. Think of it like a couple of cases of tape squished into your palm.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 25, 2012 at 2:06:14 am

[Phil Lister] "You're nuts then! How can they justify the price???"

Have you ever owned a tape based camera? The cost of tape whether MiniDV, DVCAM, DVCPro, Betacam, etc. adds up over time. In the life of a camera, you could easily spend $3000-6000 in tape stock. You wouldn't dare reuse your tapestock unless you don't mind dropouts in your precious videos.

P2 cards are reusable. The A and R series are supposed last infinitely. The E series, 5 years if used EVERY day. Most don't fill their cards up every day. Maybe every 3 days or even a week. Do the math and your P2 cards will last a good 20 years. You could easily spend $10,000 in tape stock over a 20 year period. How much is a 64GB P2 card? $650! I think the price of P2 cards are very justifiable.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Jan 26, 2012 at 8:30:21 pm

Look around for some used P2 cards, Phil; half the priced of new.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:33:39 pm

I just searched ebay and there are lots of options.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A3%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1...

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 27, 2012 at 2:57:40 am

[Ken Zukin] "Phil; half the priced of new"

From reading this and other posts, that still may be to expensive for Phil.

I've gotten some great deals on used P2 cards.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jim Motta
on Feb 10, 2012 at 11:39:04 pm

$330 for a 16GB P2 card! Thats cheap! I bought 6 of them at over $600 a piece just back in November! Time to buy a few more

Return to posts index

Sindre Visnes
on May 17, 2013 at 10:14:43 pm

Old thread and you probably solved this. Anyway, people are way off, man. If they don´t know, don´t say.

Take a look at this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827502-REG/Shining_Technology_FW1256H...

Less dollars per GB.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]