FORUMS: list search recent posts

Under and over cranking (variable frame rates) on the AG-HVX-200

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danni Karanja
Under and over cranking (variable frame rates) on the AG-HVX-200
on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:34:34 pm

I have a simple question (well simple for most of you on this website) regarding under cranking. As my film school education plainly taught me- if you shoot in a frame rate slower than 24fps and run the footage through a projector at 24fps, movement will appear to be faster. Visa versa with over cranking.

I shoot with a AG-HVX200 which has a variable frame rate of 12fps up to 60fps (if i'm not mistaken). The problem is when I shoot at (12fps lets say) and I import into final cut and run it in a time line set at 24 (23.98fps) I don't get that fast motion effect. Well truth be told I'm not sure- I did a three way test with a control at 24fps, one variable at 12 and one at 34. The one at 34fps appears to my eye as the clip with the fastest motion- but it should be slower right?

Is there some theory I'm missing here? Please help.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Under and over cranking (variable frame rates) on the AG-HVX-200
on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:05:54 pm

Save a copy of the clip (At the finder level(mac))
Open in Cinema Tools and conform the clip to the new frame rate.
Now import into edit.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Danni Karanja
Re: Under and over cranking (variable frame rates) on the AG-HVX-200
on Jan 24, 2012 at 6:00:30 pm

Ok Thanks Chris,

I can see how Cinema tools can change the frame rate- problem persists because I've noticed Final cut is importing my footage shot at "12fps" (which I put in quotes because I'm not utterly convinced video cameras shoot at frame rates- more like they mimic them) as 59.94. I'm playing with my capture presets to see if this changes anything when I import using (file>import>Panasonic P2). So right now when I set a timebase of 24fps my footage is being over cranked, and thus I'm getting a slow motion effect.

Any additional thoughts?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]