FORUMS: list search recent posts

Use external hard drive instead of P2 xard

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Weigel
Use external hard drive instead of P2 xard
on Jan 3, 2012 at 1:44:07 am

Is it possible to use an external hard drive via the FireWire port to record instead of P2 cards? We are just starting out and can't afford multiple p2 cards or the downtime to offload footage.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Use external hard drive instead of P2 xard
on Jan 3, 2012 at 5:07:18 am

Nope. You'll have to get something like the FIRESTORE...or the AJA KiPro

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew McNulty
on Jan 3, 2012 at 3:54:57 pm

Greetings... been using the firestore for a few years now. I like it. there is also this http://atomos.com/ninja/

I like the ProRes

Return to posts index

Kristiaan Boschman
on Jan 7, 2012 at 6:28:14 pm

I'm in a similar situation. I intend to buy one of these fantastic Panasonic AG-HPX250 machines, but de cost of the media would kill me. These media - spare me from the sales talk that they are professional etc... are simply overpriced.
I'm also an electronics engineer and I learned that the P2 cards use a PCMCIA-interface. This used to be a high-end interface ... long time ago! I respect that Panasonic keeps its interfaces stable over several generations of camera's, but things move fast in cameraland these days.
Take some distance: a 64 GByte card that supports a read/write speed of 150 MByte/second at a cost of over 500 USD? I pay less then 400 USD for a high-end 240 GByte SSD like the OMC Mercury extreme that read/writes at over 500 MBytes/s that also includes a RAID configuration just like the P2-cards.
When you calculate the sustained data transfer rate for AVC Intra 100, it is (only!) 15 MByte/s.
It might be interesting to check out following alternatives:
a PCMCIA-to CF (Compact Flash) adapter is cheap and fits in a P2 memory slot. Try with a fast Sandisk CF card.
insert a a PCMCIA to ESATA converter in a P2 slot and connect an ESATA-interfaced SSD to it.
a third solution - the best - would be that Panny, since one may directly export the P2 card content to an external drive via the USB interface, optionally supports the direct storage on an external SSD.

It's a small issue, but it might add so much value to this camera.

Return to posts index

Stephen Weigel
on Jan 14, 2012 at 3:14:37 am

I attempted the esata adapter idea and esata hard drive. When I inputed the esata adapter into a p2 slot it gave me an "incompatible card" error. Having a hard drive hooked up to it didn't change anything. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Kristiaan Boschman
on Jan 15, 2012 at 6:16:05 am

The card might have to be formatted in FAT32

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Jan 18, 2012 at 3:28:40 pm

Hi,

If you are trying to use the connections in the camera for the P2 slots, what ever you put in there has to be a P2 card. It is the only thing that works in the slots. You can output to a Firestor and record to a Firestore, working to just a Hard Drive will not work.

You all may be interested to know that Panasonic was awarded a Technical Emmy last week for the ground-breaking introduction of P2 Solid State recording in 2003.

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, AVCCAM, AG-3DA1, AG-AF100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]