FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCProHD question

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lori Savitch
DVCProHD question
on Dec 26, 2011 at 2:51:23 pm

Hello Everyone!

I'm something of a newbie feeling my way in the dark. You folks have helped me so much already. Thank you.

We're using a P2 camera -- moving to HD -- and trying to decide when to use 1080i and when to use 720p. I'm told the difference is negligible -- and that we should expect to constantly switch between the two.

But we already have some 1080i and 1080p b-roll archived from previous shoots. And if it doesn't make a difference anyway, why not just stay consistent with 1080i/p??? Is there any application (other than sports which does not apply) where it's simply better to use 720p?

Yes - I know 1080i files are larger than 720p. But according to my research, this is ONLY true when shooting 720pn24. Otherwise the file sizes are about the same. Do I have this right???

Also -- I'm told 720p is "better for the web?" Is this true - considering we'll be compressing anyway?

FYI: We are editing with PremierePro CS5. Most of our footage is for broadcast, but will also be used on the web. We do shoot for the web as well, but not as often.

Thank you kindly (I hope I posted on the right forum!)

-Lori

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: DVCProHD question
on Dec 26, 2011 at 9:43:04 pm

You say mostly for broadcast.... Then delivery specs would be provided no?

Progressive is for computer screen/web play back. However, you can shoot interlaced and compress for web and deinterlace at that point.

Listen, don't sweat it so much. Shoot 1080i all the time and enjoy.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Lori Savitch
Re: DVCProHD question
on Dec 27, 2011 at 1:37:22 am

Got it! Best advice ever! Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]