FORUMS: list search recent posts

full sensor P2 camera coming out?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Cadge
full sensor P2 camera coming out?
on Dec 22, 2011 at 3:38:12 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone heard about a full sensor P2 camera from Panasonic that may be coming out? Something like the Sony F3, not a 4/3 sensor, one that can use the P2 cards we already invested in.

Thanks,

Jeff Cadge

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: full sensor P2 camera coming out?
on Dec 22, 2011 at 4:41:41 pm

If anyone has, they wouldn't be allowed to talk about it publicly. It there is such a camera, NAB would be the time. I would assume, Panasonic would stick with the Micro 4/3rd s sensor.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Erich Roland
Re: full sensor P2 camera coming out?
on Dec 26, 2011 at 3:27:44 pm

Its obvious everywhere I look that Panasonic is being left out of this new big sensor revolution.

The 4/3" format is not taking off, we see little demand these days for Af-100 only at the HVX level of production. what we are seeing is most prefer to step up to Sony's products, or if its "low budg" stay in DSLR land. The lenses designed for the 4/3" sensor are mostly consumer grade, too slow and not cine friendly.

To use adapters for "cine" PL lenses are a waste of lens ability and the 4/3" mount is too weak for heavier lenses without support, and the adapters are wanky. Even if they came out with a more "pro" model in 4/3" it will flop (in my humble opinion).

They need to scrap 4/3" and join the party in full size cine sensor camera's. Its a "no brainer" for success but I'll bet there is internal resistance since someone near the top thought 4/3" was the way to go.

The sales numbers speak the story here. I'd be first in line for a cine sensor camera but Im not holding my breath. Panasonic shot they're wad on WAY too many P2 products in the last 3-4 years and are paying the price now, when they should be spending like crazy to catch up with a F3 (and or Alexa) competitor.... P2, intra... maybe even offer a full size 35mm sensor and jump right over Cine size. But I'm afraid the mo-jo is gone from this company (since the original Varicam) once the marketers took over in that P2 craze/(bust).

we will see what happens.... or rest in peace.

Erich Roland
http://www.dc-camera.com
HD camera rentals, Washington DC
(and Cameraman)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]