FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200a or HPX170

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathaniel Bear
HVX200a or HPX170
on Dec 11, 2011 at 12:38:52 am

Hi,
I am looking into buying either the HVX200a or the HPX170 and I have a few questions.

1) Are there any major differences between the two? The only one that I have found is that the HPX170 does not have a tapedeck

2) What is the HVX205a and the HPX175? How/are they different from the 200a and 170?

3) Are there any other cameras similar and in the same price range as the 200a and 170?

4) Are there newer models of these camera or are these the latest one?

5) Which camera is the best for its price?

I have looked around the web for answers to these questions, but I can't seem to find a straight answer.
Thanks in advance!

Nathaniel Bear

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: HVX200a or HPX170
on Dec 12, 2011 at 1:17:31 am

[Nathaniel Bear] " What is the HVX205a and the HPX175? How/are they different from the 200a and 170?"

GREY MARKET. Avoid if possible.

[Nathaniel Bear] "Are there any major differences between the two? The only one that I have found is that the HPX170 does not have a tapedeck"

They are virtually the same. Do you need to shoot to DV tape? If you want a lighter, solid state camcorder, go with the 170.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Dec 12, 2011 at 5:47:52 pm

Also, the lens is wider on the 170, another ND filter, 3 user programmable buttons, built in flip for 35mm adapters, built in waveform, vectorscope, more frame rates, HD-SDI out! Hugely improved ergonomics, and much more.

You can't go wrong on the 170 and especially with HD-SDI out, your options are always open while the 200a limits you.

basically, the chips and the recording is the same. Everything else is very different. You get a lot more power in the 170 than you do in the 200a. The fact that the 200a is more expensive is an advantage for you, and just plain wrong.

Panasonic HPX170 P
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 8GB RAM
Matrox MXO2 LE with MAX
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5, Final Cut Pro Studio 3, Avid Media Composer 3.5.4
The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Bear
on Dec 12, 2011 at 6:14:04 pm

Wow that sounds a lot better! What is an HD-SDI? Also is there something that the camera can record HD footage on that isn't a P2 card?

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Bear
on Dec 12, 2011 at 6:11:41 pm

Thanks you for clarifying that!

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Dec 12, 2011 at 6:25:20 pm

HD-SDI will let you record uncompressed HD signal out of the camera to whatever recorder you choose with HD-SDI in. Additionally, it can record SD-SDI (uncompressed SD) to an external recorder as well. This lets you bypass the cameras compression system (DVCPRO HD) and record to a codec of your choosing on a recorder such as an AJA kiPro mini or, Panasonic HPG20, or a Nano-Flash, just to name a few. Recorders are endless these days.

An external recorder would be the only way to record HD to something other than a P2 card. You would use whatever media the recorder requires and use the recording settings on the recorder, not the camera. Unfortunately P2 is the only way to record onboard the 170. But keep in mind, the tape deck in the 200a only records SD. It does NOT record HDV. So if you are looking to record standard def DV, then the 200a may work for you. But if you want to record HD, then you will find much more options in the 170. Also, SD to the P2 cards can be much higher quality using DVCPro50 than it could ever be in DV to a miniDV tape. Not to mention the feature set I described before.

I know P2 cards are expensive, but if Panasonic is where you want to go (and I do like Panasonic over Sony or Canon), then they are bomb proof and well worth the investment.

Panasonic HPX170 P
Matrox MXO2 LE with MAX

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 13, 2011 at 2:26:02 am

[Matthew Sonnenfeld] "HD-SDI will let you record uncompressed HD signal out of the camera"

The signal is still 8 bit out of the HPX-170.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Dec 13, 2011 at 4:19:42 am

[Steve Eisen] "The signal is still 8 bit out of the HPX-170."

Yes but this will still offer greater possibilities if you don't want to record DVCProHD or don't want to use P2. The HyperDeck Shuttle is $345.00 and SSD's are coming down to a price where they don't sound crazy as recording media. Worth investigating if you're looking for alternatives. Go from there to Cineform and you'd have a sweet set up.

Panasonic HPX170 P
Matrox MXO2 LE with MAX

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Bear
on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:42:59 pm

Thank you both for answering these questions! It sounds like the P2 card is the best way to get the best image. How many minutes of 720p footage can a P2 card hold? I plan on making short films and docs with this so would I be fine with an 8GB or should I save up for a 64GB? Also the camera has 2 P2 card slots. Do I need 2 P2 cards in the camera all the time?

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Dec 17, 2011 at 3:07:12 pm

Hey Nathaniel,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I don't think that 8gig P2 cards are even available anymore, at least not new. If you're shooting 720, you have the advantage of shooting in 720/24PN. Assuming you want to shoot in 24P, then this setting will yield you the most recording times for your cards, while maintaining high quality. Basically, PN is truly progressive whereas the 24P modes use pulldown and therefore do use fields which take up space. As a result of using PN modes, you will get about 60% more recording time. But this is ONLY in 720.

If you use a 16gig card, the smallest card available new, you will get roughly 40 minutes in PN and in all other HD frame rate modes, the general rule is 1gig of storage per 1 minute of footage. Yes, DVCProHD is monstrous compared to consumer codecs but you will see the advantages.

Really, I've never seen a downside to shooting in the PN modes, and particularly 720 which is generally all I shoot in. I've had a lot of success converting to 1080 with Cineform software (which I can't recommend highly enough), and especially with these cameras, they don't have native 1080 sensors so you don't really gain resolution by shooting in 1080 anyway.

Also, yes, you will need 2 cards, AT LEAST! You don't need that to record but especially if you're shooting docs, you need to be able to run and gun. What happens if your card is full? And that these storage ratios it doesn't take much... Then you need to find a computer, dump your card, PROPERLY, clear it, format it, and get it back in the camera and ready to go. It will be a huge waste of time. In the old days, a miniDV tape was cheap and you just bought a 3 pack and popped in a new one after 60 minutes was up. Not so anymore. When shooting in the 720 PN mode, it is much easier to match the type of shooting times you had with a tape per day of shooting, so I would try to replicate that. You can do that with one 64gig card but as I've said, I think you would be better with two or three 32gig cards.

It sounds like you're on the right track. Bottom line is, 1gig of storage per minute of footage, unless in PN mode, multiple cards of however much you're comfortable paying for, be that 16, 32, or 64 gig cards. Stay away from the 8s and they will be used.

Panasonic HPX170 P
Matrox MXO2 LE with MAX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]