FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Format Error

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Segal
P2 Format Error
on Dec 4, 2011 at 10:46:13 am

I had a 3 camera shoot with 3 HPX-300s and six 32GB Panasonic P2 cards. I got home and put 5 cards in the Panasonic AJ-PCD20 card reader and the computer wouldn't recognize the cards. I put the cards back into the cameras and now the camera reads: "FORMAT ERR" in flashing red letters. When I got them to mount on the desktop, there is just a LASTCLIP.TXT on the cards. There is no evidence of a contents folder.

Please, for the love of God, help me. Retrieving this footage is crucial. I have to shoot the same thing Sunday night and I don't have any other cards. I really don't want to just reformat and lose everything that i shot today. My boss will kill me.

Also, upon right clicking on the cards and selecting "Get Info" it tells me that all 32 GB are available. As you can imagine, I'm not exactly thrilled with this reading. This is also illogical as midway through the shoot, the footage was checked and by all indications, everything seemed fine. Someone please tell me that this has happened to them before and it's an easy fix.

Return to posts index

Julian Williamson
Re: P2 Format Error
on Dec 11, 2011 at 3:04:35 pm

Hope you've received an answer to this. Here are a few suggestions; I've been shooting P2 for many years:

1. Reboot your computer and plug everything in again.
2. If you are using a Mac, be sure you click the "safety" tab on the P2 card to the locked position. Otherwise Mac will write little ancillary files to your P2 card.
3. If all else fails, attempt to open up the card directly from Final Cut Pro or Premiere and import the files. You may have one offending file. If so, you might have to experiment around till you see which one it is. Final Cut may lock up on one file. If so, skip it when you try reimporting it.
4. If you have the problem in #3, sometimes this is caused by attempting to eject a P2 card while the camera is still writing the file. Don't do that; only takes once to learn it's worth waiting a minute...

Julian

Julian Williamson
http://www.blueslandfilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]