FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding Settings for HVX200

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clelland
Encoding Settings for HVX200
on Nov 14, 2011 at 9:53:40 pm

Hi all,

Sorry if this seems like a silly question to ask, but it's been a couple of years since I last did video or editing work/studying and I appear to have become quite rusty.

I have an HVX200 and some footage which I shot 1080 resolution. When I import it into Premiere Pro CS3 I noticed that the settings are 1280 by 1080, with a PAR of 1.5

If I export a video under these settings it will look 4:3 rather than the 16:9 I shot it on. If I change the resolution to 1920 x 1080 (which I want) it gains black bars at the sides of the video. I can correct this by changing the PAR to 1.0 (square pixels).

Now, I have a couple of questions for you all.

Is changing the PAR okay to do if I want 1080 widescreen as described (without affecting quality), or is there a better workflow to achieve what I need?

Can anyone explain the reason that the HVX200 saves footage as 1280 x 1080 (1.5), which looks 16:9 when I edit, but 4:3 when encoded?

Sorry if I'm rambling, I hope it makes sense and I really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: Encoding Settings for HVX200
on Nov 14, 2011 at 11:16:35 pm

The reason is that the DVCPRO-HD codec uses that pixel aspect ratio. Nothing wrong with that. You can edit with that settings and export your final video with that PAR to an uncompressed AVI. Then, use the Media Encoder to change the format to whatever final output you'll use you should have no problem.

I hope this helps

Return to posts index

Scott Clelland
on Nov 15, 2011 at 12:17:29 am

Thanks for the response, really appreciate it.

Could I export directly from Adobe Media Encoder in Premiere, changing the PAR and resolutions within the program? I assume that changing PAR has no effect on the video quality in this case?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Nov 15, 2011 at 2:16:53 am

Well, it does have an effect. You are stretching the image, but it's not visible to the common mortal.

Return to posts index

Scott Clelland
on Nov 15, 2011 at 12:03:18 pm

I see, good to know thanks again. So I assume that the workflow I have described is the best way for me to achieve the end footage I desire?

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Nov 15, 2011 at 3:29:14 pm

Sure, you don't want to change your sequence settings and squeeze your footage on the editing stage. This will require computer resources just to display it, so it's good to edit it as it is and then change it on export.

I always export to an uncompressed AVI. It's faster and it doesn't require the computer resources of renderign/encoding. But that's because I apply color modifications to the footage. Always give yourself time to test your workflow and keep with the process that works for you.

I hope this helps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]