FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 cards don't mount using a Qio when booted into 64-bit Kernel.

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Hedin
P2 cards don't mount using a Qio when booted into 64-bit Kernel.
on Nov 11, 2011 at 6:29:04 pm

Problem...my P2 cards were mounting just fine using the Sonnet Qio on a MacPro with a 32-bit Kernel. Then, for other reasons, I started booting my MacPro into a 64-bit Kernel mode, and the ability to mount P2 cards when away.

I contacted both Sonnet and Panasonic....Sonnet claims that Panasonic has not written or provided them with a 64-bit driver and it's all Panasonic's fault. Panasonic claims no support for the Qio and that P2 cards WILL in fact mount when boot into a 64-bit Kernel mode and points fingers at Sonnet. Somewhere in the middle lies the truth.

Anyone have any experience with this dilema? I can't stand the finger pointing.

Mac Pro
OSX 10.6.8

Kevin Hedin
Digital One, Inc.
Anchorage, AK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: P2 cards don't mount using a Qio when booted into 64-bit Kernel.
on Nov 11, 2011 at 9:02:02 pm

Why not just boot in to 32 for the transfer?

Return to posts index

Kevin Hedin
on Nov 11, 2011 at 9:09:51 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Why not just boot in to 32 for the transfer?"

Because for some reason, I can't. It all started when I updated my system to OSX 10.6.8. I got kernel panics immediately following. It turns out that the Sonnet Qio was to blame. I had to boot into 64.bit mode to avoid the kernel panics. I then performed an update to the Qio and tried to switch back to 32.bit mode, but it wouldn't boot, it would just hang. Apparently 64.bit mode is the only way for me right now, unless I were to completely rebuild my system.

Kevin Hedin
Digital One, Inc.
Anchorage, AK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 11, 2011 at 9:11:39 pm

Yeah, 10.6.8 is funky.

Do you have another P2 Reader?

Return to posts index

Kevin Hedin
on Nov 11, 2011 at 9:17:21 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Do you have another P2 Reader?"

Unfortunately not, which is why I'm here, hoping I can find the right company to point fingers at.

I thought about updating to Lion, but I'm not sure that's a good idea either. I've got to check with AJA and other manufactures to see if it's ok to make the move yet.

Does anyone have experience with Lion, Sonnet Qio, and P2 cards?

Kevin Hedin
Digital One, Inc.
Anchorage, AK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 11, 2011 at 10:40:42 pm

[Kevin Hedin] "Unfortunately not, which is why I'm here, hoping I can find the right company to point fingers at. "

Not even a camera?

[Kevin Hedin] "Does anyone have experience with Lion, Sonnet Qio, and P2 cards?"

As far as I know, P2 doesn't work with Lion as there's no Lion drivers.

Actually, wait, I just check and there are Lion drivers. I don't have experience with it, though.

I'd hesitate going to Lion.

I'd work with Sonnet to uninstall your current Qio drivers and try again.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Arthur Aldrich
on Nov 12, 2011 at 1:21:54 am

Kevin,

My experience with the QIO was been troublesome. I have tried almost every variation of P2 card readers, and the Panasonic readers are the most reliable. Maybe not the cheapest, but always work.

I have PCD20 and PCD35 running with Lion.

My advice, ditch the QIO and get a real reader.

-
Art Aldrich
OTEK TV
Leader, NJFCPUG
http://www.njfcpug.org
http://www.P2Pro.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Hedin
on Nov 12, 2011 at 1:56:19 am

[Arthur Aldrich] "My advice, ditch the QIO and get a real reader."

Easy for you to say, but $1000 worth of equipment is not something I toss aside easily, especially since it's been working flawlessly for years now.

I will most likely rebuild my system with the older OSX 10.6.7 and stick with that since I know the QIO will work in 32-bit Kernel mode and the P2 cards will then mount.

Kevin Hedin
Digital One, Inc.
Anchorage, AK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 12, 2011 at 2:54:43 am

Qio has major advantages over p2 only as well.

I'll give it a shot on Monday and see what I see. I have a 64bit kernel I can test it on too. The transfer machine is 32bit.

Did you do the terminal commands from Sonnet?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kevin Hedin
on Nov 14, 2011 at 6:31:24 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Did you do the terminal commands from Sonnet?"

I updated the Sonnet Qio driver..I didn't know to perform any Terminal commands...can you enlighten me or provide a link? Thanks.

Kevin Hedin
Digital One, Inc.
Anchorage, AK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 14, 2011 at 6:37:11 pm

If you can boot to 10.6.8, no reason to mess around with the Terminal.

I haven't forgot about you, going to do a test in a little bit.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 14, 2011 at 7:46:32 pm

OK. Finally got around to it.

So, the Qio doesn't work, I tried both the Lion and Snow Leopard drivers using Snow Leopard (I don't have Lion installed).

I also have a PCD20 (5 card Panasonic reader, fw800) and that does work. So it's obvious that P2 cards can be mounted in a 64bit environment.

I'd stick with Sonnet and see what they can do for you. If not, you have to revert to 32bit.

Another thought, when you said that the 32bit versions "would just hang" do you mean on a blue screen?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kevin Hedin
on Nov 14, 2011 at 8:57:16 pm

Jeremy, thanks so much for your test. That really helps me a lot. I'll be grilling Sonnet for some more specific answers. For now, I'll have to rebuild my system because something is preventing me from booting back into 32-bit mode.

To clarify, the computer hangs on the GREY Apple logo indefinitely if I try to boot into 32-bit mode.

Kevin Hedin
Digital One, Inc.
Anchorage, AK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 14, 2011 at 9:07:15 pm

[Kevin Hedin] "To clarify, the computer hangs on the GREY Apple logo indefinitely if I try to boot into 32-bit mod"

Yeah, that's weird. There was an issue with older Qio drivers where it would hang on the blue screen (seemingly) forever, but if you let it sit for 10+ minutes it would eventually boot. It did this once, and then it wouldn't do it again.

I haven't put any production machines on 10.6.8 as it was causing weird issues with some PCIe cards, most of it seems to be fixed by now, though.

If you have a black drive, you might try cloning that drive and upgrading to Lion on that clone, but something tells me it won't work even though Qio and P2 drivers are all Lion compatible now.

Sorry for the troubles, I know what a pain reinstalling a system can be.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 16, 2011 at 7:02:58 pm

OK, to add to this post.

I just installed a Qio on a 10.6.8 MacBook Pro that's running in 32bit mode and everything works, p2 included.

Perhaps try uninstalling the Qio completely (use the uninstaller) and then boot to 32bit.

Then install the Qio drivers.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]