FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgraded to HPX370...Now What?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Leahy
Upgraded to HPX370...Now What?
on Nov 2, 2011 at 3:31:04 pm

Hello Cow Community. Recently I took advantage of the $2000 rebate on the HPX370. The camera has a list of roughly 11200, but B and H sells it for 9200 and with the discount it's only 7200. I sold my Hpx170 for 2000, bringing my cost down to 5200 and worked out a deal with my production company that I would front the money if they paid a $200 dollar monthly rental fee to me for it. So I kinda had to take advantage of that. Not only that, but it's nice to be the guy in town that has more than a handheld/dslr camera, regardless of image quality my clients just think a bigger camera is cooler. Also, I'm just not a fan of DSLR, but please don't let this be a post about that.

Really what I'm wondering is ok, I have the bigger better camera...so now what? How can I maximize my purchase? Much to my surprise there was not a Barry Green Getting to know the HPX370 book in there (doesn't exist) so I have to look elsewhere to push my knowledge and abilities. A few things have been bugging me.

1. People keep knocking the lens. Okay, I saw some lenses for 1/3" camera one for 6 grand and another for 13 grand (both Fujinon). But what exactl should I be looking for? Also I saw that it works with 2/3" lenses as well. Does that require an adapter and is the image quality at a higher level with 1/3 lens or 2/3 lens + Adaptor.

2. Can somebody explain the back focus vs front focus and Macro and perhaps how/when to use them. I understand setting back focus and front focus when the camera will be stationary but what about while shoulder mounted?

3. Carrying cases/Portabrace what should I be looking for

4. How/Where can I increase shooting skills

5. What are fun/interesting things about this camera that I've never heard of before?

Any help that anybody has would be greatly appreciated, I just want to make sure I can get the most out of my investment regarding accessories, skill, image quality and protection.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Upgraded to HPX370...Now What?
on Nov 2, 2011 at 3:44:38 pm

Welcome to the world of shoulder mount cameras.

[Terry Leahy] "Really what I'm wondering is ok, I have the bigger better camera...so now what? How can I maximize my purchase? "
The same you would as your 170. There are no secrets. Bigger is not always better. There are some advantages and some disadvantages.

[Terry Leahy] "Does that require an adapter and is the image quality at a higher level with 1/3 lens or 2/3 lens + Adaptor."
Yes it requires an adapter. Just like all photography, the lens makes a huge difference.

[Terry Leahy] "Carrying cases/Portabrace what should I be looking for"
Kata or Petrol

[Terry Leahy] "4. How/Where can I increase shooting skills"
Practice, practice, practice.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]