FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic AG-HpX370 Footage has stutter in movement

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Karsner
Panasonic AG-HpX370 Footage has stutter in movement
on Oct 10, 2011 at 2:27:35 am

I just purchased the Panasonic AG-HPX370 and shot in the DVCPro HD 1080i 59.94i format. When bringing the mxf P2 files into Media 100 Suite 2.1 I am getting a stuttering in footage with movement... pans, following people walking and such.

I have spoken with Media 100 and they are investigating the problem.

It almost looks like a field dominance issue or perhaps a pull down problem.

I have shot for 3 days in a large project and I'm concerned about the footage now.

Has anyone had experience with this camera and shooting in the DVC pro hd 1080i 59.94 frame rate?

I get the same results when playing the footage in QT, Adobe Premier Pro CS5 and FCP.

Thanks
Bob

Bob Karsner
Destiny Productions - Kentucky

Bob Karsner

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
Re: Panasonic AG-HpX370 Footage has stutter in movement
on Oct 10, 2011 at 4:38:15 am

do you have the shutter on ?

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Oct 10, 2011 at 4:40:21 am

do you have the shutter on ? how does it play back in the camera ? then you can establish if its a camera setting or import setting..

Return to posts index

Bob Karsner
on Oct 10, 2011 at 9:40:22 am

I will check that thanks. My camera operator may have ininvertantly turned it on. He is new to the camera as well If so, what can be done about the footage I have shot? Is there a work around that can compensate for that?

Bob Karsner

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Oct 10, 2011 at 9:53:27 am

Hi Bob

Iam no expert with post.. I just shoot.. how does the footage replay in the camera.. I,d think this would be the acid test if its a camera setting .. or import or even NLE/playback setting
As per your question.. again I dont know that much of the post side of the industry.. but I would think if its a camera setting its probably a pretty permeant one.. but I could be wrong there..

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Oct 10, 2011 at 9:59:53 am

Is it a sort of Saving Private Ryan .. Look.. ? this was on purpose shot with 90 degree shutter.. I think.. or there abouts.. at 24 frames .. to give that stutter effect..

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 10, 2011 at 10:30:16 pm

Welcome to Cmos.

I went through the same thing. It is NOT your media100.
It is the camera.

I actually shipped mine into panny a week after I got it. I was convinced something was wrong. They looked it over and said Nope, looks like it should.

CMOS chip cams have a ways to go to perform like CCD.
IMO.

Shooting 60p or 60i yields the best results.
Be mindful of pans and what's in the scenes.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Bob Karsner
on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:27:29 pm

That's discouraging. Just spent a bundle for improved "Full HD" quality... as advertised.

Have you ever tried outputting through SDI to your editor? I was considering digitizing the footage via SDI rather than transferring it via the USB P2 transfer.

Any other work arounds other than the practical "watching my pans and such"?

I read every review out about this camera and for the most part... they just loved the camera.

Apparently the camera plays the footage very well... at least on the camera monitor.

Thanks for the input.

Bob

Bob Karsner

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 11, 2011 at 10:10:31 am

SDI out will not improve.
P2 Data Transfer is you best bet, it's just moving data.

Why not use the Avcintra100 recording mode? It's full raster.
Does m100 play better with DVCPROHD?
The AVCintra is truly cleaner and holds up really well.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Oct 13, 2011 at 7:05:59 pm

I'm not sure I'd be so quick to blame just the camera. We have 7 of them around here and haven't seen what you are describing at all. If the shutter was on, it could give you that look. If the fields (upper/lower) are shifted in playback you will get a terrible stuttering look. If you are shooting at 24fps and move the camera very quickly, you will get a stuttering look-same as with film. If everything is set correctly, these cameras will make a very good picture, especially for the price. The way that the chips are read out is different than the way that CCD's are read, (the rolling shutter) but it shouldn't make that much of a visible difference in everyday shooting.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]