FORUMS: list search recent posts

Understanding DV-tape... A workaround with the HVX-200a

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Goldblum
Understanding DV-tape... A workaround with the HVX-200a
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:41:34 am

I just got a call for a fairly large project, which I want to land. I own a HVX-200a and am the recommended videographer for this project. I am looking for a workaround, because I am not sure my HVX-200a is the right camera for this project. It is several days long, and using P2 cards doesn't seem like a good workflow.

I have spoken with another videographer who has been hired by this company. They are insisting on HD video, preferably filmed to tape. He uses a Canon camcorder (not sure of the model...XL-H1?) that records to mini-dv tape (in HD). The HVX-200a can only record in standard def to mini dv tape....The entire project is basically interviews in an office setting, so a stand alone machine might also work....

(1) is there a stand alone tape recorder that would work in this situation?

(2) Is recording to a mini dv really HD and why do models by Sony or Canon do it, but my HVX-200 cannot?

(3) Am I better off renting a different camera for this project or investing in a newer camera?

Thanks

Gary

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Understanding DV-tape... A workaround with the HVX-200a
on Sep 26, 2011 at 1:57:21 pm

The other cam op was record to "HDV" they were subjected to the 1 hour tape limit.
With interviews you have breaks.
You Don't "HAVE" to record to tape for HD.
How many P2 cards do you own? They can rent for cheap. In ATL you can rent a 64GB card for around $100/day.
Cheaper then a KiPro or something similar.

Can you bring a laptop and be offloading P2 cards after they fill up?

Maybe this project with justify the purchase of another P2 card for you...?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 26, 2011 at 3:16:34 pm

Simple case of client education- you will be giving them their footage on a hard drive ready to edit on any computer. Not 1 hour long tapes they can only playback on an expensive deck or camera and have to be captured at 1:1. I.e. one hour footage = one hour to capture. Vs. copy P2 footage and done.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Gary Goldblum
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:39:48 pm

The client wants HD on a tape....and as always, the client is always right. (Someone else is doing all the editing and I am only getting paid for filming). I am meeting with them tomorrow to discuss options, but It looks like I will need to rent a camera for this gig (d'oh). I think I found a Sony for $125 a day, and I will just pass on the expenses.

Thanks,

Gary

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 26, 2011 at 9:25:21 pm

Hehe- just ask him the last time he watched an HD tape over the internet on YouTube- done. :)

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:10:43 am

Like Noah said, I would educate the client. Ever get a hit on tape? Almost impossible with P2. P2 is flawless.

I own enough P2 cards to shoot all day and night. I also own the PCD-35 P2 card reader and can offload a full 64 gb card in 16:30. Tapeless is the way to go.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Gary Goldblum
on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:32:06 am

Thanks guys.... This is a case where a company has hired a videographer, and he is sub-contracting work to me. From my understanding his client is adamant about this workflow. He is shooting on a XH-A1 to mini-dv tape in "HD" (encoded as an MPEG-2?). The project is numerous depositions all around the country and could potentially put some serious $ in my pocket. Below is my response. Remember in the world of depos they are mostly interested in a product that requires no editing, must be delivered quickly, and is usually 7-8 hours long.

Gary ;)

Thanks for spending some time with me this morning. I do have a few questions which will allow me to assist you better. As you can imagine there are a few ways for me to tackle this. I guess the bigger looming question is how many jobs will be sent my way, and how many of them involve traveling.

(1) Are you the only videographer working on this project? If I rent/buy a Sony camera, will our tapes be compatible regarding playback? I have heard this can be an issue.

(2) My least expensive option would be to buy this Sony blue-ray HD recorder. It is portable and I can record to both DVD and Blue-Ray DVD in "HD". Can I deliver a DVD as the master?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=...

(3) Another option is to buy more P2 cards. At the end of the day I would need to transfer the data to a hard drive. The benefit here is you would have full HD and would not need to import them later. Can I send a hard drive full of data to whoever is editing it? Can I film in 720p?

(4) I am also considering a new HD recorder. My normal workflow is I use my P2 cards as my backup, and I use a stand alone HD recorder/DVD writer (most of my clients are satisfied with DVDs as a masters (I can also film to dv, but only in sd mode). The unit I own is great, but I have never had anyone approach me wanting High Def. for depos. This $2000 beast might do the trick, and I am certain it would look quite a bit better than the Sony unit.
http://tascam.com/product/bd-r2000/overview/

(5) Can I bill for travel time? What is included when I travel? (hotel, car rental, per diem)

(6) Normally I charge $? per hour with a 3 hour minimum. Am I billing you/your company, or can I bill slightly higher to recoup some of the investments/rentals that I will incur? Are my charges appropriate and what do I do if I travel half way across the country and it is cancelled?

Thanks again for your time.

Gary

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]