FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Ultra High-Speed SDHC Memory Cards for Pro Use

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Probyn
New Ultra High-Speed SDHC Memory Cards for Pro Use
on Sep 20, 2011 at 10:55:40 am

Is there anything to stop the above cards taking the place of P2.. ? could they ever record AVC intra 100..?

Talking near future .. not 10 yrs from now..

Just thinking out load..

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: New Ultra High-Speed SDHC Memory Cards for Pro Use
on Sep 20, 2011 at 2:37:08 pm

I'd take the protection of P2 over SDHC any day. No other tapeless media can protect your data better than P2. P2 card closes the file every 2 seconds while recording.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:00:18 pm

Yeah but that's at the behest of the camera itself. It'd be easy enough to implement a RAID sorta setup with two SDHC cards. Question is will a camera maker want to do that?

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Arthur Aldrich
on Oct 9, 2011 at 11:22:03 am

I think the pro cards are a good step towards something equivalent to a P2 card, they are just lacking some of the workflow features like being able to format with serial number. I wrote a quick summary of the new Pro SD card features here.

Panasonic has announced a new AVCUltra series of codecs, and there is one that is destine for AVCCam cameras, a 50mb 10 bit codec. You can read about it here:

-
Art Aldrich
OTEK TV
Leader, NJFCPUG
http://www.njfcpug.org
http://www.P2Pro.com

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Oct 9, 2011 at 12:26:36 pm

Hi Art

Thanks for your reply..do you think this implies that Pana will replace P2 with these new pro cards.. at some stage.. would seem the logical path.. if they can be used for 50Mbps recording.. (same as XDCAM 422 GOP)
50 Mbps being accepted as "HD ' by most networks.. (can they record 100 Mbps.. ) ?? And have the bullet proof features of P2.. surely P2 would be phased out. in favor of these cheaper cards..

As many are already using SD cards in adapters for SxS.. cards.. for good or for bad..

For me like most pro,s the cost of the cards (P2 or SxS) is nothing compared with the nightmare of losing footage on a job,but if the pro cards have this same reliability whats stopping it taking over .. besides the fact they are so small :)..

Return to posts index

Arthur Aldrich
on Oct 9, 2011 at 8:00:23 pm

The benefits of AVC Ultra will not just be felt on AVCCAM. With AVC Intra, the max quality is 100mb, but in AVC Ultra, you will see 200mb and 400mb flavors that will only be achievable on P2 cards.

P2 workflow has been established, while the AVCCAM workflow is still developing, so I don't see P2 going away any time soon.

-
Art Aldrich
OTEK TV
Leader, NJFCPUG
http://www.njfcpug.org
http://www.P2Pro.com

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Oct 10, 2011 at 4:32:51 am

Ok see what you mean..

But I guess apart from drama/commercials/CGI heavy programs 50 to 100 Mbps is totally ok for the average doc Natgeo/Discovery etc.. or maybe Pana/or someone.. will also make an adaptor like the one for SxS.. to SD ...

If the big problem for most of us is that even the slightest risk of problems puts us off SD.. and makes us pay out for the more expensive cards.. basically for peace of mind..

If SD cards can be as safe as P2. the only problem being the small size.. I would think P2 would be used only for very high end productions needing well over 100 Mbps..

Besides the card reader. What would be the big difference in work flow.. once FCP,Avid etc support the codec..?

Thanks again for your time..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]