FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 file structure + missing lastclip.txt file

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marley Moynahan
P2 file structure + missing lastclip.txt file
on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:55:44 pm

Hi!

I just recently got a Canon XF100 and this is my first time using P2 cards. I've recorded a number of events on two separate P2 cards, and now would like to download them onto my Mac OS 10.6.8 SL operating system and then edit them with FCP7. Based on reading other forums, I understand that the file structure on my P2 card ought to have a lastclip.txt file + a structure within the CONTENTS folder that has VIDEO, AUDIO, et al. Unfortunately, my P2 cards don't have either of those things on them -- the lastclip.txt is missing on both cards, and the CONTENTS file structure is different on both cards (see attached screen shots below). I've tried using my P2 card reader and hooking up the camera itself, to the same effect.

I have watched the videos play back successfully on the camera, including their audio, so I know that they technically were recorded, but every indication is that my incorrect file structure and lack of a lastclip.txt file will prevent me from converting them in FCP (Log and Transfer doesn't recognize the card).

Please help? I know that I can figure out how to reconstruct a lastclip.txt file if need be... is that all I need to do, and then FCP will recognize the clips? Also, is my camera and/or P2 cards severely mis-formatted, such that they didn't record correctly?

Thanks much!
Marley

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: P2 file structure + missing lastclip.txt file
on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:26:16 pm

Did you read the manual for your camera? I had a problem, once, with P2 formatted clips recorded directly on a hard drive. I opened the drive and copied the files and all was a mess. Reading the manual I found that the HD had an option for exporting the files and that created the CONTENTS folder with the traditional structure.

I hope this helps

Return to posts index

Marley Moynahan
on Sep 19, 2011 at 7:17:00 pm

Thanks! I will definitely be looking into my camera settings after this, but for now, am fretting about how to access the footage that I need from it in its current MFX-minus-finalclip.txt file. Any ideas on how to convert them to work on FCP?

Also, I think I forgot to attach the original screen shots -- here they are: P2 card #1 and P2 Card #2

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:22:11 am

The Canon XF100 does not use P2 cards.

I think that camera has it's own log and transfer download for fcp. Check it out on Canin's website.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Marley Moynahan
on Sep 20, 2011 at 12:58:46 pm

It does indeed use P2 cards, as it were -- here is the Canon website's screenshot of the P2 card inputs.

Anyone have any ideas on the conversion of .mfx files that don't have the right file structure? I will reconfigure the camera, but for right now, I need to try to process this footage that I already have.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 20, 2011 at 2:28:58 pm

There's no screen shot attached or linked to.

P2 is a panasonic format. You have a Canon camera. I do not think think that camera records in a Panasonic recommneded MXF structure, or codec. My guess is that it's some form of HDV or MPEG2.

I would find the page for your camera and and look in the OSX drivers/software section. I bet they have a log and transfer program to support this camera.

It is different from, P2. You're going to have to trust me.

Return to posts index

Marley Moynahan
on Sep 20, 2011 at 2:37:33 pm

You're absolutely correct :P It uses large Compact Flash cards. Thanks -- that completely fixed the problem. The camera's product page has a plug in for FCP, and is now transfering the footage successfully!

Brand new camera in the hands of a brand new filmmaker = major and basic mis-assumptions. Thanks for your patience :)

Return to posts index

Laura Wood
on Sep 23, 2011 at 8:56:38 am

but FCP X doesn't have "log and capture" option now, how can MXF from P2 or Canon XF imported to it? I feel that "log and transfer" support import avchd files. Am i wrong?

-------------------------------------------------
Laura
Laura Wood

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 23, 2011 at 1:23:53 pm

For p2 files, you use the "import from camera archive" option.

For Canon DSLR you simply import the mov choosing to transcode or not.

Not sure on Canon XF. The latest version of FCPX had a camera SDK so that camera manufacturers will be able to write in their own support.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]