FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Rate Problem with HVX 200

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Abourezk
Frame Rate Problem with HVX 200
on Sep 10, 2011 at 7:55:27 pm

Hi all,
I've been shooting with my HVX 200 for three years.
I recently shot a two day event, shooting 269 clips to P2 Cards.
In reviewing the footage today, I have found a problem that renders some of the footage unusable. Although I was ONLY shooting 29.97 DVCPRO HD, 13 of the clips have irregular frame rates ranging from 7.99 fps to 27.97 fps.

To be exact, the clip frame rates are as follows: 7.99fps x 1 clip, 9.99fps x 2, 11.99fps x 1, 23.98fps x 4, 24.98fps x 4, 27.97fps x 1.

I took a look at the quicktime footage of the original clips and sure enough, the frame rates are locked at the lower numbers and the audio is out of sync.

I used FCP studio on my notebook, with a G-Safe 2TB external drive. Might not be a coincidence that this is the first time I have used this hardware/software configuration and this is the first time I've seen this problem.

The interesting/annoying thing is that the clips had problems very randomly. For example, One clip is fine, the next clip is bad, the next clip is fine... all three clips shot within seconds of each other at the same location with the same setup.

Anyone else seeing this kind of issue?

Talkingbox Digital Media Group, Inc.
http://www.talkingboxdmg.com
(203) 249-7718

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Frame Rate Problem with HVX 200
on Sep 11, 2011 at 3:48:01 am

Sounds like a conversion issue- I'd try going back to the P2 cards and retransferring again- perhaps with P2CMS.

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Matthew Abourezk
on Sep 11, 2011 at 3:00:26 pm

Right you are Noah.

I went back to the P2 cards and found one of the affected clips (the rest from the previous day had unfortunately been written over since I thought then ingest went well and had checked a sampling of clips to make sure).
Anyway, the one clip which had previously shown an fps of 9.99 was just fine on the P2 card. I re-ingested that clip and it plays normally. So the problem had been that randomly, some of the clips ingested improperly.

This is an extremely unnerving problem. It is already scary enough to ingest then erase the P2 cards. So much so that I carry a G-Safe raid array with me to redundantly copy the files to two separate drives at the same time. Now I have run into a problem where random clips can import incorrectly? Ugh.

Anyway, thanks for the input, at least I know what went wrong.

Now I just need to figure out where the problem came from... the notebook computer? The G-raid? Communication between the two? Why would this randomly show itself?

I'm now thinking that the safest thing to do is to buy a lot of extra P2 cards so I don't have to re-write over anything, even in a two-day shoot.
Ugh x 2

Talkingbox Digital Media Group, Inc.
http://www.talkingboxdmg.com
(203) 249-7718

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:07:50 pm

Hard to say why this randomly happened- that's a lot of clips. Perhaps a transfer wasn't quite done when you thought it was. But it's definitely precisely why we always recommend making a complete disk image backup of your P2 cards- which is what you're doing. Good for you. Maybe look into something like Shotput Pro or P2 CMS- they slow things down a bit but help build in some safety net to the P2 workflow.

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]