FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speeding things up... P2 workflow....ShotPutPro

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Goldblum
Speeding things up... P2 workflow....ShotPutPro
on Sep 8, 2011 at 7:36:19 pm

I own a Panasonic HVX-200a camera and use P2 cards to capture video. The camera connects via a 400 FW cable to transfer the data (either using drag and drop or Log and Capture in FCP). I am looking for a way to speed up the process of ingesting my footage.

1) On my Imac, I can never get the P2 cards to mount (as a drive) when I connect it directly to the Imac's 400FW port (which I am certain works). I must daisy chain my camera to my raid, which has both FW400/FW800 ports to see the P2 mount. My MacBookPro (which is slower) always mounts the P2 cards when I connect to it's 400 port and can move the data slightly faster. Does this matter that I am daisy chaining devices in regards to transfer speed? Any ideas why the P2 mounts on my MBP and not my Imac?

2) They sell a stand alone P2 card reader which uses a USB2 cable. I thought firewire400 was slightly faster..... I don't want to drop $400 for a card reader unless it dramatically speeds up the process.

3) There is an application called ShotPutPro. Will this speed up the process? Is it possible to see the date and time stamp in FCP if I ingest using ShotPutPro?

Thanks for any help.

Gary

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Speeding things up... P2 workflow....ShotPutPro
on Sep 8, 2011 at 11:06:18 pm

Connect via the USB port on the cam.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 9, 2011 at 4:30:42 am

If you want faster offload options, you will need the PCD-20 (FW800), PCD-30 (USB 3) or the PCD-35 (PCIe).

Your connection is the bottleneck. The PCD2G won't improve your offload time by that much.

I can offload a full 64GB P2 card with my PCD-35 with ShotPut Pro in 19 minutes.

Used to take over 40 minutes with my PCD-2G (USB). For me time is money!

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Gary Goldblum
on Sep 9, 2011 at 11:11:48 pm

Hi Steve,

Do they make a single card reader with the faster connections? Also, does Shot Put Pro speed up the process?

If I have a full 64 gig P2 card, it takes about and hour and a half to off load it. Odd thing is my Mac Book Pro can off load a card slightly faster than my Imac (which is much faster and has more RAM).

Thanks for your time.

Gary

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 10, 2011 at 5:00:58 am

All of Panasonic's P2 card readers are mentioned above. ShotPut Pro does not speed up the process. It is a very useful program that does the work for you.

The other option other than Panasonic is the Sonnet Qio. All of these options are faster than offloading from your camera.

Your connection is causing the bottleneck.

PCIe/Express34 (PCD-35) to eSata RAID = fastest (can only be achieved on a Mac Pro)
PCIe/Express34 (PCD-35) to FW800 MacBook Pro with Express34 slot
USB to USB drive = slowest

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Arthur Aldrich
on Sep 11, 2011 at 1:30:55 am

The only single card reader is the PCD2, USB2.0

The PCD35 is fast , and I use it on my tower with the included PCI card, and in my laptop with an E34 to PCIE adapter.

Shotput will make the offload quicker in some circumstances, like with a PCD35, because it can offload the the cards at the same time.

There are other benefits of SPP, but without a multi card reader, the speed gain is minimal.

-
Art Aldrich
OTEK TV
Leader, NJFCPUG
http://www.njfcpug.org
http://www.P2Pro.com

Return to posts index

Gary Goldblum
on Sep 9, 2011 at 10:58:12 pm

If I connect via USB it doesn't mount. On the camera I am in the 1934 Device mode (which I think refers to FW400... Is there another method?

Thanks,

Gary

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 11, 2011 at 5:33:40 am

Switch to USB mode (menu setting). With proper drivers, it will mount.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Gary Goldblum
on Sep 22, 2011 at 5:46:07 am

Wow... well I must claim a bit of ignorance here.... I have always believed (and read) that FireWire400 is slightly faster that USB 2.0 and doesn't have the consistent data transfer. I am an old school Pro Tools guy, and have read that this is the reason that Digidesign/Avid does not support USB audio interfaces....

If I switch to the USB mode on my HVX-200a, and transfer that way, it is easily twice as fast!!

yee hah!

Thanks Creative Cow!!

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]