FORUMS: list search recent posts

Top quality 2/3" SD glass vs. stock 1/3" HD glass on Panasonic HPX370

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Stephens
Top quality 2/3" SD glass vs. stock 1/3" HD glass on Panasonic HPX370
on Sep 3, 2011 at 10:02:00 pm

We are waiting for our new Panasonic HPX-370 to arrive. We will play with it for a day or two and then send it off to Macie Video for camera setup. We have always had Macie do our setups so we have the best saved standards when the guys mess up our settings.

But I do have a question about the stock “HD” lens that comes on the camera. We have a number of 2/3” broadcast lens from our retired Sony D600s. The specs on this “SD” glass is dramatically better the new 1/3” lens that came on the HPX-370. But they are technically not HD. Just first class $18,000 broadcast glass.

If we spend the $1K+ that Fuji wants for the adapter, will we see any advantage ? Or will we have problems ?

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
Re: Top quality 2/3" SD glass vs. stock 1/3" HD glass on Panasonic HPX370
on Sep 4, 2011 at 11:58:34 am

I,d say the SD glass would be better.. but you,ll lose ofcourse the wide angle end of it..

Return to posts index

Konstantin Kovalev
on Sep 4, 2011 at 12:27:09 pm

I agree, the stock lens on the 370 can hardly be called "High Definition", however, it is designed for a sensor half the size of a 2/3"er and so has tighter tolerances.

Since the 370 will only be using the center portion of the optics, it will effectively double the focal length of the lens, and will also double all the negative characteristics of the lens as well. Better be sure that lens has a sharp and aberration-free center.

Return to posts index

John-Michael Seng-Wheeler
on Sep 30, 2011 at 9:32:27 pm

I expect that with CAC on the new HD lens it will be better then using the SD lenses on the HPX-370.

Why? They might be good, but they were only designed for SD and by using them on an 1/3" HD camera you are asking them to resolve almost 4K equivalent resolution (compared to their designed SD resolution) in their centers. If they only cost 18k I don't think they can do it.

JM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]