FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX170 Still Worth Purchasing?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Suchodolski
HPX170 Still Worth Purchasing?
on Aug 26, 2011 at 2:40:29 am

So I do quite a bit of shooting with my DSLR (5D and a 7D). I do quite a bit of Weddings and things like that and am into making short films. I will be looking to step up and start making more short films in the near future and have quite a bit of Wedding work ahead of me as well.

Currently I use the DSLR for pre-shots and only use it for the ceremony if there is another shooter for coverage. Otherwise i'm using a hmc100u which is nothing special it's just what work supplies me with.

I'm looking at getting my own equipment for my company and want something that can grow with me in the industry as I do. Currently I only have my 5D and 7D (Tons of gear however) and would desperately like something more run and gun.

Will the HPX170 fill that need? I seem to keep finding discussions about the camera being discontinued. That is quite worrisome as I don't want a camera that is obsolete in seconds.

I however like this camera for the 4:2:2 colorspace and high bitrate. I see how it's somewhat soft in comparison possibly to other cameras however. Which is a bit of a worry of mine. I like sharp footage no one likes an almost soft focus pull look. And it's very hard finding any raw footage and spec's it was shot at as well. I would assume the higher bitrate (of the newer codec) would help possibly and with no videos tagged right who knows what settings or codec it was shot with. And most videos are years old.

Anyway with a budget of under $4,000 (With accessories cards etc) what should I be looking for? I would love something with the specs of the HPX170 but is newer and more supported in the future.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: HPX170 Still Worth Purchasing?
on Aug 26, 2011 at 3:01:28 pm

Absolutely!!! The 170 is a great camera. 1000% times better than the HM100.

Others may chime in and say the AF100 will fit both your needs. That camera is a little over your suggested budget.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Matthew Suchodolski
on Aug 26, 2011 at 5:07:32 pm

I've been searching and searching! The only thing i came up with was the Sony NX5U and the Sony EX1R.

Haha. Yes that's a jump to include the EX1R but after watching what it can do I'm pretty much wanting one...I suppose to get one however my 5D Setup would have to be sold though so there is a huge drawback.

I'm just to concerned with the fact the HPX170 has been 'discontinued'. I've never found it desirable to purchase outdated technology. And I feel that's what I would be doing. It seems silly to sell my 5D and get an EX1R and save up for a Letus and then have to get a lens set back.

What are my real options for something sub $5000? That's not 'Prosumer' per say. Or am I better off just saving for an EX1R or selling my 5D?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 26, 2011 at 6:48:54 pm

The 170 is not discontinued. How can you say it is outdated technology?

With the HPX-170 you get a camera that can shoot 480, 720 and 1080 at 24, 30 and 60 up to 100mb/s. If you want an all-around multi-purpose camera, this is the way to go. You can add lens adapters to achieve the look of the 5D.

Since you shoot with the 5D, the AF100 is something that you really should look at. The alternative to that is SONY's FS100.

Test them out and you decide which works best with your workflow.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Aug 26, 2011 at 7:24:48 pm

I will second that on the 170 - Excellent camera. A great value. Will allow you to make piles of money for years to come.

Ya, the 250 is coming out to replace it. But it has a CMOS sensor.
Better in some ways, not better in a lot of ways too.

If it's in your budget, you won't regret it. It will still be relevant for many years.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Matthew Suchodolski
on Aug 26, 2011 at 7:40:44 pm

I suppose my biggest concern is looking at the other camera's and how much better they are in low light and overall image resolution. I don't know why i'm a stickler on these topics but I generally am.

Am I over concerned? Does anyone know where I can attain raw 1080 footage to really review and check out?

Thanks for everyone's help as well!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Aug 26, 2011 at 8:19:36 pm

Your best bet would be Vimeo - search HPX170
It's DVCPROHD not AVCIntra. But it's the price range and value.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 27, 2011 at 3:06:40 am

HP-170 is excellent in low light. You will still need an on camera light especially shooting weddings.

Even has DRS (dynamic range stretch) if needed.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Ryan Pratzel
on Aug 29, 2011 at 5:40:52 pm

I will echo the other sentiments. The 170 is an excellent camera and incredible value for the money. It's ready to go out of the box. An AF100 will require thousands in extras (Lenses, etc)

We picked up a 170 to compliment our 500's. They match beautifully and we have never had a problem with the 170 in low light. For a camera under 4-5k, it is one of the best options.

Ryan Pratzel
Executive Producer | Creative Liquid Productions
creativeliquid.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]