FORUMS: list search recent posts

Understanding P2 data..

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Goldblum
Understanding P2 data..
on Aug 25, 2011 at 4:57:48 am

Hi,

I own a HVX-200a and FCP. Normally I plug my camera into my computer and use the Log and transfer function within FCP. I notice that it is rather slow because it must transcode the mfx file into a quicktime movie....is there anyway to speed this process up? I have tried it on numerous computers and it is basically real time to import hd footage..... I can move the data quickly from a P2 card to a drive, but it doesn't play unless I transcode it. Hence I have always used Log and Transfer to avoid making duplicates (mfx file and quicktime).

2) When I use log and transfer it creates a quicktime movie that will only open on a computer that has FCP installed. Is there a way around this? Will Premier or Avid NLEs be able to open my FCP quicktime movies? My friend that has Imovie couldn't open my quicktime movies.

3) I filmed something recently and the client is using an editor in NY. She doesn't know which editing system they use. If I use log and transfer, will they be hosed if they are running premier or Avid?

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Understanding P2 data..
on Aug 25, 2011 at 3:42:39 pm

You need to read up on tapeless workflows. Ther are Tutorials here on the cow.

As for other editing systems - you give them the card media, the P2 files. Any editing system worth its salt can ingest P2.

Always transfer your card media, use P2CMS and verify the transfer to the hard drive, back up your card masters. L&T from the hard drive NOT the camera.

If you L&T your P2 Files to ProRes codec or DVCPROHD codec, and give the mov's to another comp, they need to have those codecs on that machine.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Gary Goldblum
on Aug 26, 2011 at 10:25:36 pm

Thanks Chris,

Thanks for responding. I am sorta new to this workflow. A couple of quick questions....

1) does a p2 card reader transfer data quicker than my camera? My HVX200 has a firewire 400 port, and most P2 card readers use USB 2, which I believe is slower then FW400.

2) Is it best/faster to move the data from a P2 card to a hard drive (Contents and TXT file) or does it make more sense to do Log and Transfer? If I move the data from the P2 card to a drive and then do Log and Transfer I have created two copies (original and transcoded).

3) I was informed (perhaps incorrectly) that when I log and transfer I do not need to worry about capture settings because FCP will transcode it properly based on the original file settings. Is this correct?

Thanks for your time,

Gary

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Aug 26, 2011 at 10:33:41 pm

You'd think the FW route would be quicker but it's not in this case.
You can test. Fill a card with media and transfer it via the FW and time it. Do the same for USB. You'll probably find that the USB is the same or a little faster.

Check out the Tapeless Workflow tutorial here on the cow by Shane Ross.

Yes, transfer ALL the card media to the comp. first. Back it up to another drive. And then back it up to another drive again. This is your tape master and shouldn't ever be lost. Hard drives fail.

If you use software to transfer the card media to the comp like P2CMS (free) or ShotputPro (not free) they will verify the copy for extra protection.

L&T from the local hard drive copy and NOT the camera. Yes it transcode the files to mov files. Yes it use the format you shot in.

When the edit is ALL done, trash the mov files. Keep the Card Master forever!

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]