FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD and AVCIntra

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Puneet Malhotra
AVCHD and AVCIntra
on Aug 21, 2011 at 8:51:58 am

Hello everybody,
I am currently using HDV format but want to go tapeless for time saving and improved quality. I saw various cameras from Sony and Panasonic offering AVCHD files. But at their best they record around 3MB/sec.,which I am already getting in HDV cassetes.And people say AVCHD is only good for consumer level,but in editing and in repeated generations it loses its depth.Panasonic cameras which are SDHC card based also records at 3MB/sec HMC 150, AC 160, AC 130 all at their best.
But one coming soon HPX-250 P2 based records AVC intra 100 which is around 12MB/sec and AVC intra 50 which is around 6MB/sec.
I am bit confused over which way to go as I am unaware of pros and cons of each format...
Waiting for your assistance
Puneet

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Re: AVCHD and AVCIntra
on Aug 21, 2011 at 11:06:27 am

Hi,

AVCHD at about 18Mbs will out perform HDV. That is with a professional implementation. This means that the prosumer cameras (DSLRs) are a little handicapped as they do not have the full implementation. At 24MbS, it out performs XDCAM EX. That doesn't seem like it is possible but you need to understand that the same guys wrote AVCHD that wrote MPEG2 and knew all of its pitfalls. They created MPEG4 that was a vastly more efficient and capable codec.

It is definitely ready for prime time professional work when it is offered in a professional camcorder like the up and coming AG-AC160 or 130, or in the line up of AVCCAM cameras we have today, leading with the AG-AF100.

AVC-Intra is in the same family of codecs with AVCHD, it is the I-Frame version, certainly a great codec and ahead of its time.

So to choose, it goes back to money available and desired feature set. Both work well,one costs more. The AVCHD is not edited natively, per se, it will be rendered to an I frame codec before the edit or after. AVC-Intra can be edited natively.

Both are great codecs. And both are way better than where you currently are.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, AVCCAM, AG-3DA1, AG-AF100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 21, 2011 at 11:50:53 pm

Personally, I find AVCHD visually right up there DVCPROHD, XDCAM EX, etc. I've not once run into a scenario where my AVCHD footage was rejected due to compression issues. And the SDHC cards are cheap as dirt relatively speaking. It's great bang for the buck.

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Aug 22, 2011 at 3:04:21 pm

This is something that I've been thinking a lot about lately - the AVCHD codec I mean. I've never shot nor edited with it - currently I own an HVX-200. The thing that I wonder about is color space? From what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't the AVCHD codec record in 4:2:0? How does that compare to DVCPRO HD at 4:2:2? It seems to me that on paper DVCPRO HD would be vastly superior, but since you have to transcode AVCHD anyhow in post, are the differences even noticeable? I guess when I hear about anything less than 4:2:2 my mind is drawn back to miniDV - and probably unfairly so.

-Grant Gomm
http://www.blacklionproductions.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 23, 2011 at 3:24:25 pm

To my eyes and my scopes, that color space difference is minimal if even noticeable on most projects. Jump right on in, the AVCHD is perfect.

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Puneet Malhotra
on Aug 24, 2011 at 6:21:05 am

I don't know why I am not convinced over AVCHD, it seems to me that it is made only for consumer level, not for hard core editing with repeated processing over it from one generation to other.
And color space again an issue with AVCHD i.e. 4:2:0.
What if we compare AVCHD with Prores recording in
Ninja which is 10bit 4:2:2.....

puneet

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Aug 24, 2011 at 2:32:39 pm

you know, i've never heard of the ninja before, but I checked it out, and it seems pretty cool. I really like the idea of the device being the monitor also. I bet that connected to the af100 could take some great shots.

-Grant Gomm

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:59:49 pm

You bet. Also the new Sound Devices PIX240 is well worth a look- high end sound recording options and you can record the HD-SDI input to ProRes or DNxHD. It's a winner- http://www.sounddevices.com/products/pix.htm

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Aug 24, 2011 at 4:20:10 pm

Wow, that's pretty cool! Do you know any work arounds to get hdmi out of an HVX200? lol, I kid... But that would be really cool though. I'll have to wait until I get the AF100. Panny should take an AF100 and replace the guts with one of these bad boys... Same imager, but records 10 bit native to prores 422 on a removable SSD (or heck, P2 is still cool by me).

-Grant Gomm

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Aug 24, 2011 at 4:22:20 pm

oh, and while we're at it, why not a PL mount also? :)

-Grant Gomm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]