FORUMS: list search recent posts

format suggestions for green screen project mixing footage types

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alden Brigham
format suggestions for green screen project mixing footage types
on Aug 11, 2011 at 6:01:31 pm

Hi,
I'm making a video for my website, and it will be my main marketing tool, so I need to do this right...

Shooting one person against the greenscreen, a variety of cu-long shots. Sometimes the person will walk a bit. In post, some of what we shoot will be composited with old 4x3 ratio clips that are pretty low resolution.

So, would I be better off shooting DVCPRO50 with it's 4:2:2 color space and 4x3 framing option, or should I shoot DVCPRO-HD, knowing it could get messy with cropping/reframing or whatever to match the old 4x3 footage, but using it anyway because of the better resolution?

And what mode do you suggest? 720p/1080i??? 24 or 30fps? I have just a single 16GB P2 card, so space on the card is a bit of an issue too. I'd like to minimize the number of times I'll have to stop and transfer the footage to my laptop/hard drive.

Working in FCP6, though editing with Media Composer is an option.

If you have experience with this, I'd love your advice! Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: format suggestions for green screen project mixing footage types
on Aug 11, 2011 at 8:40:52 pm

Keep it simple. Shoot Progressive. 720/24pn will give you maximum record time. Lighting is very very important when shooting green screen. If lighting is not perfect, keep talent from moving too much.

Do a test before you shoot.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Keith Clark
on Aug 14, 2011 at 9:34:31 pm

I would shoot the same frame rate as the clips to be composited.
422 will give you a cleaner key.
HD will give you the most options
you will be cropping and keying out the green screen so i would use the aspect ratio that conforms best with project but i allways try to bring projects up to current standards to prolong their usibility.

keep in mind you can shoot in 24 or 30 over 60i and go directly to hardrive through the 1394 port giving you options other then just the p2 card.
the requirement is that it be over a 60i streem to capture directly from the 1394 port
use the capture now feature in FCP and set the preset to non-controlable device the use the mouse to start and stop recording.

i hope all goes well!
keith

Return to posts index

Alden Brigham
on Aug 15, 2011 at 2:38:12 pm

Thanks to both of you! I did shoot DVCPRO-HD, and at 30P to match the frame rate of my older footage. Now on to the editing and compositing!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]