FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about copying P2 media via P2CMS utility

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Konstan
Question about copying P2 media via P2CMS utility
on Aug 4, 2011 at 1:27:15 pm

I am backing up P2 cards shot in the field to two separate drives, prior to use in Avid Media Composer on a Mac. I was originally using the simple copy/drag method at the Finder level, and then checking the status of the copied media via P2CMS, just to make sure all clips were loading correctly.

When I tried using the current P2CMS utility to export/copy the cards to another drive (to take advantage of it's compare function for at least some form of basic error checking), it copies the P2 file Contents but NOT the Last Clip text file.

It has been my understanding that I need to keep the Last Clip file with the P2 Contents folder when backing up the cards. Must I manually copy the Last Clip text file to the new location? Or is this step not necessary?

Thanks!

Mike Konstan
MAK Digital Media, Inc.
Orlando, Florida

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Question about copying P2 media via P2CMS utility
on Aug 4, 2011 at 5:32:48 pm

Use SHOTPUT PRO from imagineproducts.com. I find P2CMS to be a horrid app that does things veyr very backwards. It will backup each SHOT as a separate P2 card. Stupid. ShotPut Pro rules!

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 4, 2011 at 9:16:03 pm

[Mike Konstan] "It has been my understanding that I need to keep the Last Clip file with the P2 Contents folder when backing up the cards. Must I manually copy the Last Clip text file to the new location? Or is this step not necessary?"

I have never ever, never ever missed it. All of the spanned info is read off the P2 XML files.

P2CMS works just fine, select all, Export, Do Compare.

Shane, you don't have to ingest, you just have to export, and it keeps that card structure the same.

Shotput Pro is a bit better.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mike Konstan
on Aug 5, 2011 at 2:07:03 pm

Thanks for the help, guys-- this is a rental system that only has P2CMS loaded but I'd rather use ShotPut Pro like you said. I'm already into the 3rd and final day of this project without any errors or major problems so far. And all the media has come in to the Avid fine. So I think for now, I will continue with the workflow I have been using, which ended up just using P2CMS as a way to view/confirm the P2 clips at each newly copied destination, just before ingest into the Avid.

I will keep these suggestions in mind for next time-- thank you so much for the help!

P.S. Shane, I haven't yet read your blog, but I loved the podcasts you used to do. Any chance you'll ever start doing those again?

Thanks!

- Mike

Mike Konstan
MAK Digital Media, Inc.
Orlando, Florida

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 5, 2011 at 5:08:50 pm

[Mike Konstan] "P.S. Shane, I haven't yet read your blog, but I loved the podcasts you used to do. Any chance you'll ever start doing those again?"

I am doing them again. Have been since about Feb 2011. Eleven new ones. Should all be on iTunes. Or you can find them on my blog if you narrow the CATAGORY to PODCAST:

http://lfhd.net/category/podcast/

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Morabe
on Dec 1, 2011 at 11:41:41 pm

Ever since using FCS3, our log and transfer has been constantly glitching. So I looked into it for the 3 of our editors and decided to ingest/export using P2CMS and then using Raylight to bring the .xmf files into FCP.

Now the issue I've been running into is that p2cms is doing what Shane said before, it creates a single contents folder per clip even if it is spanned. Now, I have a bunch of spanned clips that I don't want, and can't seem to figure out what the issue is.

Any help?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]