FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone using OS X Lion with P2 cards?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helmut Kobler
Anyone using OS X Lion with P2 cards?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 7:16:15 am

Any issues with P2 drivers, cards not mounting in readers, etc.?

Panasonic doesn't seem to have anything about Lion anywhere....

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Mike Varga
Re: Anyone using OS X Lion with P2 cards?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 7:31:47 pm

i'm having the same issues- not mounting

Return to posts index

Wolf Austad
on Aug 5, 2011 at 5:36:23 pm

Current P2 drivers for OS X are 32 bit. I think Panasonic needs to write new 64bit P2 drivers since Lion is 64bit. Maybe it's possible to boot Lion in 32bit mode? If you try this, please let us know if it works!

Thanks, Wolf

Aasulv Wolf Austad, fnf
Director of Photography
Los Angeles based

Return to posts index

Alison Huckett
on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:58:32 pm

Hi,

Just wandering if you managed to resolve this issue?

We may be upgrading to Lion at some point in the near future, and a lot of our footage is shot on the P2.

Return to posts index

Stephen Snow
on Jan 10, 2012 at 7:34:32 pm

HI Alison,

Yes. Turns out it wasn't a Lion issue at all. In fact it was rather embarrassingly simple. Being a Mac guy I'm used to using Firewire for transfer. That doesn't work. I then tried a USB data transfer cable (the one that's flat (the same) on both sides. That didn't work, either. Turned out all I needed was a MINI USB to USB cable. When connected the P2 card in the camera shows up as a drive on the desktop and you can work with it easily with either FCP 7 or Premiere CS5. I'm making the switch from FCP to Premiere, and I love it so far. Faster, easier, more powerful. I have not bothered with FCP X.

So, simple: Use a mini USB (connected to the camera) to USB (to the computer).

Blushing at my silly mistake. ~:-)

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Apr 21, 2012 at 2:55:25 am

To all,
I just upgraded to Lion last week and had the same issues - P2 cards not mounting.
Using: MacBookPro, P2card adaptor in express slot - been working PERFECTLY for 2 years. Camera Panasonic hvx200. Today, the laptop saw the card, but wouldn't mount it.

Has anyone solved this yet without using the camera? In a slight panic - in the middle of a new shoot!

Haven't checked out what impact Lion will have on updates for camera yet.

Advice is greatly appreciated for some panic relief.

Connie

Return to posts index

Stephen Snow
on Apr 21, 2012 at 4:46:58 am

Are you using a mini-USB or a USB-to-USB (data) cable? I was using a data USB, had to use mini USB. The AG-HPX250 also doesn't work with 1390. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Apr 21, 2012 at 2:35:16 pm

Steven, Thanks for the reply. I ended up using the hvx200 with 1394 cable last night, which worked fine for me (tried usb as you suggested but didn't work).

But, my question is why is my dual adapter, plugged into my macbookpro, not mounting the cards now? Fool proof for the past 2 years. Computer sees the card, but won't mount it. Tried several times. Is this a Lion upgrade issue? Panasonic site said no updates drivers needed. What am I missing?

I need to continue shooting while cards are being wrangled in the field with the dual adaptor through macbookpro to store on g-drive.

Others in this thread having same mounting issue - anyone solved it??

Connie

Return to posts index

Wolf Austad
on Apr 21, 2012 at 7:19:53 pm

The Duel Adapter hasn't worked since OSX 10.4 Tiger, and even then it was notoriously unreliable. You obviously had a solid piece of luck with yours. Good for you. I only used the Duel a little bit, but enough to permanently ban it from my set. Drivers for the Duel adapter will not be updated to work with newer operating systems.

Best advice is to buy the Panasonic USB 2.0 reader.

Or you could install the older operating system on a partition of your computer and boot into that when you need to use the Duel adapter. (Not recommended by me.)

Aasulv Wolf Austad, fnf
Director of Photography
Los Angeles based

Return to posts index

Stephen Snow
on Apr 22, 2012 at 12:51:20 am

Just FYI, I didn't use an adaptor. Just a straight mini-USB-to-USB cable from the camera to the computer.

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Apr 25, 2012 at 8:06:24 pm

Wolf, you're right. I was using Leopard with that dual adaptor. Not turning back from Lion, so, off to a museum it goes. I would like to avoid the $345 range price of the Panasonic usb2 card reader if it's a possibility. Couldn't find anything else compatible with Lion. Is there anything else less expensive...and reliable?

Connie

Return to posts index

Wolf Austad
on Apr 25, 2012 at 8:51:40 pm

>I would like to avoid the $345 range price of the Panasonic usb2 card reader if it's a possibility. >Couldn't find anything else compatible with Lion. Is there anything else less expensive...and reliable?

To my knowledge no, not for Mac.

Panasonic's P2 driver for generic CardBus slots only works in 32bit mode on Mac. Lion defaults to 64bit. (On Windows P2 drivers work in both 32 & 64bit mode.) I have been told that Panasonic uses custom chips for their higher end P2 readers (PCD-35, PCD-30) and not generic CardBus chips, hence the higher speeds those readers can achieve. Panasonic has written 64bit drivers for Lion for these proprietary higher end Panasonic P2 readers.

Point being that even if there was another adapter like the Duel on the market that worked with 64bit Lion it still wouldn't work for P2 cards.

So short of complicated tricks like booting into 32bit Lion or installing Windows on your Mac, a USB 2.0 reader is your cheapest bet.

Aasulv Wolf Austad, fnf
Director of Photography
Los Angeles based

Return to posts index

connie Bottinelli
on Apr 27, 2012 at 5:47:06 am

Thanks, Wolf. Appreciate the detailed reply so I wouldn't try some complicated work around. Got my answer here, as usual.
Connie

Return to posts index

Nelson May
Re: Anyone using OS X Lion with P2 cards? (new question)
on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:57:55 pm

What output settings are you using in your camera menu to get the MAC to see the card as an hard drive? I know FW doesn't work and I don't play with the output options much for my HVX200. I want to try the mini USB method.

If there is a series of steps, please let me know.

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Stephen Snow
on Dec 24, 2011 at 12:16:50 pm

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. Very frustrating. Panasonic's site is terrible, and there's no mention of new software for Lion coming out, much less support.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]