FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera in Manual Focus but the numbers reverse after you stop turning

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sacci
Camera in Manual Focus but the numbers reverse after you stop turning
on Aug 1, 2011 at 10:00:11 pm

I was on a shot with the client's camera (HPX170). We were trying to do shots that required rack focusing and had the camera in manual focus. As we turned the ring the feet indicator would increase or decrease but when we stopped it would jump back a few feet. So if we wanted to stop on 14 feet we would have to go to 16 or so and it would go down to 14ft. If you go slow enough it is jumping back and forth. It is almost like the lens' auto was fighting us. This only seem to happen on the wider end of the zoom. If we were zoomed in the focus held.

Could there be a setting I overlooked or do they need to send it into Panny. It is a brand new camera. I don't have much time on the HPX, but have owned (one) and rented a lot of HVXs, never seen this problem before.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: Camera in Manual Focus but the numbers reverse after you stop turning
on Aug 1, 2011 at 10:58:30 pm

Mine does it too, like if the focus ring had some inertia. Never called my attention before, but now it does. I think it should had to do with the way the display sensor works.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 2, 2011 at 1:25:35 am

there is no way this should be the way it works, like I said no HVX does this. If something is 16 feet away why would you have to focus to 18 feet and go past focus for it to end up in focus. If you slowly round the focus the numbers go crazy that is not inertia.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Aug 2, 2011 at 1:31:58 am

Don't get mad at me, Michael. It was just a thought.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 2, 2011 at 3:02:46 am

How did I get mad at you. I have a different thought. There has to be some precision if this is to be a useful tool.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]