FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 recorded clips divided into segments automatically

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gene DiPaula
P2 recorded clips divided into segments automatically
on Jul 26, 2011 at 8:11:22 pm

I recently recorded an event with two HVX200s that was about 45 minutes long. I just hit record on both cameras and let them run. When I go to import the files - on one of the cameras, the file was automatically divided into segments that are about 12 minutes long, other than the last clip which is just long enough to run to the end (approximately 5 minutes).

On the other camera/card however, the clip comes in as one long 45 minute clip.

Both were shot at 720/24pn.

Nothing is lost, but I am curious as to why the division. It is a bit of an inconvenience because I use the multiclip function and am unable to do so until I put the divided clips into a sequence and export as a quicktime reference, then reimport again.

I have read some answers that say there is a 4GB file size limit that is causing it. But it has never happened with this camera before and it did not happen with the other camera I was using.

Any insight is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 recorded clips divided into segments automatically
on Jul 27, 2011 at 5:15:15 pm

P2 cards are formatted with an offshoot of FAT32...which has a 4GB limit. DVCPRO HD 720p 24PN recording gets you 11-12 min per 4GB (I recall this because that's what I had with the original 4GB cards). P2 cards ALWAYS break up the footage into these sections. But various NLE's stitch together the files into one long one when you import...Avid does this, FCP 6 and 7, and Adobe Premiere CS 5 and 5.5.

What NLE are you running? How are you getting the footage into that NLE? Did you back up the full card structures?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 28, 2011 at 10:02:34 pm

Shane you are the backup police now.

;-)

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Gene DiPaula
on Aug 3, 2011 at 2:55:59 pm

Thanks for the response. I am using Final Cut Pro 6. Your answer makes sense, but I'm still not sure why FCP was stitching the files together on ingest, then suddenly stopped doing it. All of a sudden I was seeing the files split in to 12 minute segments.

I will say that I suspected some settings on my camera were causing troubles because around the same time I was getting the red exclamation on some clips during import.

I went in and found that one of my videographers, while shooting 1080i changed the PreRec option to 'Yes'. I thought this might have been causing my ingest problems so I changed it to 'No'. Since then, no more Red exclamation and no splitting of files.

Hope this helps someone. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Frank Bokoski, Jr.
on Oct 12, 2012 at 9:26:19 pm

Sorry bring up an old thread but I recently had the same problem as Gene did. It surprised because it has neve happened before.

I checked out Gene's suggestion on the PreRec option being turned on but it was not. So, Gene, just wondering if you'd had the problem again? I really want to figure out what went wrong here.

1615, The GC Media Project
http://www.1615.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]