FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Log and Transfer Files

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Brockett
FCP 7 Log and Transfer Files
on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:30:09 pm

I know a lot of P2 camera users used Final Cut Pro to log and transfer P2 clips (1) into their computer and ((2) into Final Cut...

I believe many of us used log and transfer exclusively. So here's the issue, and I hope some of you who do this for a living will know the answer (and hopefully the answer is not just you're SOL):

Assuming you would like to move over to Premier Pro or Avid, will you be able to use the P2 clips previously logged and transferred into FCP? What are the issues one would have to overcome? Also assume that the FCP log and transfer version is the only copy of the P2 source material. Thanks.

[This issue was brought up in an earlier post, but the substance was not really addressed.]

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: FCP 7 Log and Transfer Files
on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:56:09 pm

Depends on the Avid version and if it has support for QuickTime DVCPROHD. Yes you would be in much better shape had you saved the originals. :)

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Phil Brockett
on Jul 21, 2011 at 1:41:37 am

After I posted, I thought about exporting the clip as a self-contained quicktime .mov. Would like to know if, as a failsafe, that procedure would be workable in avid or production premium? Those experienced in FCP and avid or production premium, what would be the drawbacks? Given the situation with FCPX, as time goes on, I am sure this question will be put to this group many times.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 21, 2011 at 3:42:23 am

Drawback is you lose a generation and you need more time to transcode and more hard drive space. That's about it...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:46:01 pm

How could you not have the camera masters????

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:52:18 pm

Heh- it's an easy mistake to make. But definitely not the best practice.

Noah

Return to posts index

Phil Brockett
on Jul 21, 2011 at 4:21:17 pm

How could you not have the camera masters????

Well - Final Cut Pro's manual as well as several tutorials on FCP by well-respected editors who make those tutorials told me to use the log and transfer procedure of FCP to import the media.

I did go to finder and look at the capture scratch files which are 0077EG.mov, 0085VE.mov, etc. They of course open in quicktime just fine as well as Motion 4. Am I okay on Avid and Premier Pro with these capture scratch files?

I guess the question (rather moot now) is is the "best practice" for Final Cut Pro users to transfer P2 files from the camera using Panasonic's transfer tool and then transfer them again using FCP's log and transfer? Seems rather redundant, not to mention the storage space.

I (and many other FCP users) have no experience with Avid or Premier Pro. So these questions may sould sort of basic, but the turtorials on getting P2 media into Avid and Premier Pro seem much much more complex than the log and transfer feature of the discontinued Final Cut Pro.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 21, 2011 at 4:37:17 pm

I'm sorry Phil, I didn't mean to be so brash, I was lashing out.

With tapeless media you must back up your card media always. These are your camera masters. Just like when you kept the camera tapes full of raw footage on the shelf.

Off load cards onto your comp. Use a software that verifies and copies like P2CMS(Free) or ShotputPro(not free)

Copy those files onto other backup drives (Drive are cheap)
We keep 3 separate copies of all card media on 3 different drives. Redundancy will save you butt b/c drives will fail.

From the copy you have locally on your edit machine, L&T into FCP.
When the edit is done, gone, mastered, out the door, trash the mov files.
You have the masters and the edl to reload the footage down the raod if needed.
Back up your projects folder often too!

Shane has a great tutorial here on the cow "Tapeless Workflow"
Check it out.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Phil Brockett
on Jul 21, 2011 at 4:53:58 pm

Thanks Chris -

Fortunately - I only have one legacy project where the .mov files are the capture scratch. But I am sure there are lots of folks who are not as lucky. The follow on to that project is still on the P2 card in the camera. I like to try to keep things simple. My backup set up is pretty basic - timemachine backup to a 1 TB western digital my book studio.

It may not be a bad idea to get a usb connected hard disk to separately back up the "raw" P2 data.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 22, 2011 at 5:15:35 am

Just to chime in on tutorials- I happen to have one for the P2 workflow that is very much focused on preserving original camera files as your 'digital negative' both in the field and every step of the way in post:

http://www.callboxlive.com/collections/camera/products/panasonic-p2-workflo...

Noah

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 22, 2011 at 5:25:35 pm

I don't know who's tutorials you were watching, but obviously not Noah's or mine. I have a tutorial that explains the same thing. The FIRST thing I say is "backup, backup, BACKUP!"

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

And this is why...when you move to other NLEs, you want to make sure your footage works. I don't know who's tutorials you watched, but their level of "respect" should decline. They told people the WRONG practice.

That being said, if you shot AVCIntra P2, and transcoded to ProRes, the other NLE's (Avic MC4.o and up, Premiere CS3 and up) should be able to read the files no problem. The ProRes decoder is built into QT 7.6. But DVCPRO HD is another matter entirely. Only machines with FCP installed can even see the files. The DVCPRO HD QT codec is proprietary to FCP...and that's the problem. If you want this footage to work in other NLEs, you will need to media manage them to ProRes. yes, you will lose a generation, but the quality hit won't be bad at all.

From now on, back up the FULL CARDS. And stick your tongue out and give raspberries to the editors/tutorial authors who gave you bad advice.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Phil Brockett
on Jul 22, 2011 at 10:26:51 pm

No, they were not yours. They were the FCP7 essentials at Lynda.com, which talks about log and transfer "from P2 cards". I guess they could have meant log and transfer from a copy of the P2 card previously backedup to the harddisk, but I do not think they were very specific or I may have just missed that part of the tutorial.

I saw a thread about the same subject here that was several years old. So this issue must pop up here from time to time. Thanks for being patient. I do plan on watching your tutorial though. I got out my Barry Green book and downloaded the Panasonic P2 management software for the Mac. So I'm ready to do it right this time.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 22, 2011 at 11:51:58 pm

yeah it's easy to gloss over that part and true it's not exactly spelled out as a requirement when you're ingesting into FCP 7 for example. But personally I think file management before you begin actual editorial both in the field and in the edit room is a critical aspect of any file based workflow. We used to have film negative, then tapes as our backup by default. Now you have to do this yourself.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]