FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic HPX3100 Clip name on HD-SDI out..?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harcharan Singh
Panasonic HPX3100 Clip name on HD-SDI out..?
on Jul 19, 2011 at 3:17:03 pm

Hi,
I am a new user of HPX3100 the new P2 camera . I wanted to know if I can get an display of clip name on the HD-SDI output of the camera onto the field monitor.
Now we have to get the clip name from the Thumbsnail menu..

thanks
Harcharan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Panasonic HPX3100 Clip name on HD-SDI out..?
on Jul 19, 2011 at 6:47:40 pm

[Harcharan Singh] " I wanted to know if I can get an display of clip name on the HD-SDI output of the camera onto the field monitor."

Nope...sorry. Video and audio only. No metadata.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 20, 2011 at 4:10:58 am

Doesn't the 3100 allow wireless metadata handling?

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Jul 20, 2011 at 7:18:38 pm

Yes, and wireless metadata is a feature I'm very very eager to try out. I'm hoping to review it for the COW in the next month or so.

But I don't know anyway to pass metadata through SDI.

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 20, 2011 at 7:21:38 pm

I guess I wouldn't see a reason to if you were logging it right there.

I mean, of course I could see a reason, but if you have control over it, then I don't see a reason.

Is my reasoning reasonable?

Or at least reasonably reasonable?

Perhaps it's just treason.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 20, 2011 at 8:54:57 pm

Hehe- that would be cool but alas nope.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:27:29 am

Excuse my ignorance.. what is the greatness of being able to send metadata wirelessly as you shoot..?

For editing I presume.. but what data is needed so urgently and why ..?

Sorry I only shoot,but iam thinking of getting the 3100.. so wanted to understand this whole metadata thingy..

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 21, 2011 at 3:05:34 am

[Robin Probyn] "Excuse my ignorance.. what is the greatness of being able to send metadata wirelessly as you shoot..?"

No worries. It's not ignorance.

Do you ever interact with editors? After you shoot, do you just hand off the footage and get ready for the next gig?

Tell me more about what happens to the footage after you shoot and then I can give you a few metadata insights.

Doesn't have to be super specific if you don't want it to be. Generalization is fine.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Jul 21, 2011 at 6:06:55 am

Hi there

Sorry for delay just got back.

Yes I pretty much just hand over the footage.. and mostly get a DVD of the finished product... no interaction with the editor basically.. sometimes before the shoot as they are the only ones who will know for sure the frame rate.. :)

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Jul 21, 2011 at 7:38:50 pm

With no metadata, the footage you hand an editor is completely unorganized. Someone has to review it, and give the clips names ("golden gate bridge", "tom cruise interview", etc.). Not to mention other helpful details like the show name that the footage is for ("Modern Marvels"), where it was shot ("Oakland CA"), and crew names.

When you enter metadata before the shoot, your clips get all that information baked into them as you shoot. When the footage goes to the editor, they don't have to spend much time naming clips and entering in other useful info because it's already done.

For years, P2 has let you create metadata scene files on a computer, save them to an sd card, and load that SD card into the camera. But the camera man or producer would have to set all that information up the night before (typically), and if the schedule changed during the shoot (oh, we're interviewing this new person we weren't expecting"), then there was no practical way to change the metadata in camera without going back to a computer, creating a new metadata file and uploading it into camera again. Very inconvenient, and that prevented a lot of people from using metadata at all.

But with wireless metadata, the producer can use their iphone or ipad to enter all that stuff in as you shoot it. They may even be able to place markers in the footage when they see something interesting (not sure if that's supported...god I hope it is). Suddenly, entering metadata is much easier, and I think it will lead to metadata being used far more.

-------------------

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Jul 22, 2011 at 1:09:01 am

Thanks for your reply.. are you going to review the new shotput pro.. or have you already.. love your reviews sir.. thanks again all for the info..

Yes a useful l tool by the sounds of it.. and there certainly seem to be more young tech savey directors out there.. or Iam just getting old :)

Any thoughts about the 3100.. I thought there would be alot more noise on the internet when this camera came out..

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Jul 22, 2011 at 8:28:31 am

Glad you like the reviews, thanks!

In my mind, there are a few reasons for an absence of buzz/noise about the 3100. #1) Panasonic has not been doing much Pro-oriented marketing at all, except for a few banner ads I see on the Cow and a few other sites. But beyond that, not much. 2) I think two of the most interesting features of the 3100 are the higher-res proxies it can record to an SD card, and the wireless metadata, but neither of these were available when the 3100 started shipping in October. They've only begun shipping since around NAB. 3) I have heard 3 dealers tell me that there's virtually no interest in 2/3" shoulder mount cameras now. It's been DSLRs/AF100 on the low-end, and then the Sony F3 in the middle, and then Alexa and maybe Red on the higher-end.

Personally, I think there's a ton of life left in 2/3" cameras, but some of that life comes from smart workflow improvements, not a bigger imager or 2k/4k resolution that other cameras have. I really think Panasonic is missing a big opportunity to make workflow their thing, and impress people with some out-of-the-box innovations. But so far, no one's listened to me. ;-)

They're just now shipping the proxy and wireless metadata options, but not talking about them at all. No sample videos online to watch. No sample proxies to download. No brochures. I don't really get it...

-------------------

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Jul 22, 2011 at 8:29:14 am

By the way, Robin, I'm just checking out Shotput 4 now. Will post some impressions in a week or two...

-------------------

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Jul 22, 2011 at 9:06:13 am

Hi there

Yes Ive down loaded it.. but yet to use in anger.. the HD-VU also looks interesting as Im not a big fan of the pana P2 CMS or anyway Iam not that familiar with it.

But this HD-VU looks just what I wanted.. simple and easy.. I hope.. to view P2 cards, as easy as viewing CF downloads from my nanoflash.. just for checking.. I dont do any editing..

My work .. doc,s and corp is for sure still in the 2/3 chip shoulder mount realm.. have used the 7D for drama stuff for a recent doc.. ok now that there is a decent EV around.. but ofcourse one HDMI cable broke.. I basically live and die by the zoom lens (fujinon 4.7) only rarely even put on a standard zoom for the telephoto.. plus no assistant and no time to change lenses these days ! and I need a camera I can put on my shoulder straight off the tripod..

The 3100 seems a great camera to me.. at am amazing price.. varicam quality for 1/3 the price.. my option is Sony 800 XDCAM.. also great camera but still moving parts,need a player etc.. although it is popular.. dont want to play out from the camera with P2 or XDCAM unless an emergency

Anyway look forward to your shotput V4 review.. and when will thunderbolt card reader/HDD arrive !!
Please hassle your contacts at Pana !! emailed a guy here but ominously no reply ..

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Jul 22, 2011 at 6:51:53 pm

Is that Sony camera XDCAM disk? You say "moving parts" so I assume so. If I'm right, I would avoid the camera because XDCAM disk is a "dead man walking" format.

It used to be that the future belonged to solid-state, but now it's clear that the present also belongs to solid-state. I would not touch a spinning-disk format that has such a short shooting capacity, and requires you to have some chunky and slow disk reader just to read the footage into a computer.

Also, many shoots call for multiple cameras....usually a bigger A camera (like the XDCAM) and then a smaller camera like a EX1 or HVX200 or 5D or whatever else. All those B-style cameras these days shoot to solid-state, so suddenly, you have to have two different workflows and archival approaches--one for your XDCAM disk camera, and one for the smaller B cameras. You might as well keep everything solid-state.

I really don't think Sony will be making any more XDCAM disk cameras in 2 years...

As for the 3100, one notable feature it's missing vs a Varicam is off-speed shooting (slow mo or 1fps). I would miss that a bit if I had a 3100.

-------------------

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Jul 23, 2011 at 2:09:02 am

Hi Helmut

Yes that was my feelings too re XDCAM.Yes no slo mo with the 3100.. I presumed it had time lapse though.. better check that..
Yeah solid state is logically the best way to go..down loading time only seeming to be the cookie in the silk sheets at the moment.. although this soon looks like it could become a 10/15 minute job at the end of the day.. and only a slight pain for having a non moving parts camera and all the advantages of that.

I cant see P2 64GB cards ever being $40 and so chargeable as tapes.. a bit cheaper would be good,but at least now its affordable to have a days worth of cards without the need to down load during your lunch break.or the stress of having to think about it !!

What is your down load system for in the field work?

Thanks again for your time

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]