FORUMS: list search recent posts

When will cameras ship again?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Stephens
When will cameras ship again?
on Jul 12, 2011 at 2:51:06 am

I am camera shopping and most of the newer Panasonic cameras are out of stock or back ordered. Is there any new information on how long until the manufacturing will be back on-line?

Return to posts index

Erich Roland
Re: When will cameras ship again?
on Jul 24, 2011 at 2:37:42 pm

good question, I'm interested also.

Where I sit from a rental operation perspective the whole Panasonic line up from the hvx-200 to the hpx-3700... the pany rentals have all fallen off a cliff in the last 6-8 months. At the same time the Sony line up of EX cams and the new F3 have been busy. I was just looking at the stats this morning. I dont know whats going on, but Id love to see Panasonic step up and bring to market whatever the public seems to want, that Pany is not delivering. This may have something to do with the inventory issues possibly (or its the quake).

If I had a chance to tell Pany what to deliver it would be this;

Pansasonic version of the F3.
cine size sensor (4/3" is NG)
PL mount (native, or like Sony has done, which allows more options)
P2 card, w/intra
(all at a competative price)

And take it a step further (then Sony) and incorporate better interface with the user. From a rock solid hand-held capability, and viewing options.

The other cool option would be to jump right over Sony/Red/Alexa and offer a 35mm "full frame" sensor'd camera, that would be a coup! I fully understand the lens coverage issues, but there are a lot of very good FF still lenses out there, and if a FF "Pro" camera existed then more "cine" style FF lenses would follow.

The "Pro" 35mm sensor camera in the 13-18k renage is where the battle ground is for the next few years for a lot of camera volume sales. The F3, Red Epic-S will be gunning for each other here, and I understand a Canon motion camera is coming soon. Pany needs to get into this same arena or be left behind. Af100 doesn't cut it.

Lets go..... step in Pany!

Erich Roland
http://www.dc-camera.com
HD camera rentals, Washington DC
(and Cameraman)

Return to posts index

John Stephens
on Jul 24, 2011 at 2:46:54 pm

So are you saying that the current delay in most Panasonic camera shipments is due to potential model changes in response to Sony sales surge ? Or rather is the lack of Panasonic shipments due to manufacturing problems related to the disasters in Japan ?

Return to posts index

Erich Roland
on Jul 24, 2011 at 3:00:21 pm

Well it certainly could very well be the quake, as we all know this has disrupted all kind of products coming out of Japan for months now. But a lot of things that were affected after the quake... have caught up by now.

I am suggesting possibly that there could be inventory issues related to (lite) demand and other current industry pressures. Prior to this year and ever since the first P2 product was released Panasonic was rolling out new P2 products by the hand full, one after another and maybe that "buck shot" strategy has caught up to them, because the timing is about right IF... that were the case. Add to that, the new products have slowed considerably.

Just adding 2+2 and drawing my own "possible" conclusions (IMHO).

I'm sure now I will be flamed for thinking out loud.

Erich Roland
http://www.dc-camera.com
HD camera rentals, Washington DC
(and Cameraman)

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Jul 25, 2011 at 3:12:40 pm

Hi John,

Which cameras are you looking for? We have had a spike in sales on a number of models, but tell me what you are looking for and I can possibly point to a source. We had only a small delay in a couple of cameras due to the Earthquake, but the supply is back to what it was before, but demand is also up.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, AVCCAM, AG-3DA1, AG-AF100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

John Stephens
on Jul 25, 2011 at 3:42:59 pm

I wanted to take this off-line, but my e-mail to you bounced.

My original post was a month or so ago when most models were back ordered at B&H and 2-4 weeks was quoted by my local dealer. We love P2. Own 200 and AF100. Would have bought a 3700 or 3100, but too much money right now.

We did a demo of the 370 and other than the depth of field challenge, we loved it and will likely order one next week. I loved the 3100 and would jump on that if it could be configured for under $20K, which it can’t. So we keep using the AF100 for spots, and will replace our 200 with the 370 for ENG while we wait for a new 2/3” to replace the 500 next year.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]