FORUMS: list search recent posts

are you a knowledgeable hpx170 users? if so, what is the hpx170 "sweet spot"?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Katz
on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:12:37 pm

every camera has its strengths.

every camera has characteristics that could be better.

for those who are knowledgeable hpx170 users, what would you consider the camera's spot spot?

"best" recording format-720p or 1080p/i?

the lens' "best" f/stop?

a single attribute that still makes the hpx170 a valuable tool?

does anyone really care that the hpx170 doesn't "really" shoot 1920x1080? (dvcpro hd 1280 x 1080)

lastly, how many hours can the hpx170 perform before needing a tune-up?

i know these are very general questions, but i'm interested in creating conversation about the qualities which make the hpx170 such a lovely camera while still being a camera that is now three years since its release.

thanks in advance to any who care to share their thoughts.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: are you a knowledgeable hpx170 users? if so, what is the hpx170 "sweet spot"?
on Jul 8, 2011 at 5:09:23 pm

720 in any of the PN modes are ok to record. There's really no point in shooting 1080 since the full CCD works the same and there's no real improvement in image quality other then the in-camera sharpening options. For recording time and storage you can record 720 then do the 1080 in post with the same results. That's what I have tested.

The scopes are, in my opinion, one of the greatest improvements in relation with the hvx200, also the wider lens is cool and make it ok for indoors without having to get a wide adapter.

I love to use it with a white balance in the preset mode and the cinema mode. It looks good, in a film documentary style.

But I like long lenses and the zoom doesn't get that long in this camera.

P2 cards are expensive and it's both a pain and dangerous to re-use the cards on location.

But if you have enough cards and can live without long lenses, it's a great camera.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: are you a knowledgeable hpx170 users? if so, what is the hpx170 "sweet spot"?
on Jul 9, 2011 at 12:44:02 am

Sweet spot are your scene files. They are fully customizable because every lighting condition is different.

You also have the option of various frames rates to shoot in 480/720/1080 24/30/60. 5 year warranty, scopes, focus assistant, etc. The camera will last a long long long time without need for adjustment.

I hate those that say P2 cards are expensive. Yes they cost more than SD or CF cards. I guarantee that if were using tape, you would spend 5 times as much on tape then you would reusable P2 cards.

They are extremely affordable now. $700 for 64GB card compared to $2600. That's a half day rate for me. Call it an investment. Panasonic offers the HMC-150 for those that think P2 cards are too expensive.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]