FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200 Noise / Grain

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Butler
HVX200 Noise / Grain
on Jun 28, 2011 at 3:27:49 pm

I am trying to find out whether my Panasonic HVX204 (the European HVX200a) has a dodgy sensor / fault, or whether the footage this camera produces is always noisy / grainy.

I realize this issue has been discussed before on this forum but I'm yet to find a conclusive answer.

I find that all the footage shot on it is noisy/grainy to varying degrees, but it's always there and present. A lot has been said that this happens when footage is underexposed, but I find that it is always present to some degree no matter what. It's not always an unpleasant look, it can look quite film like. I have noticed it a lot recently as I have also been dealing with DSLR footage which has a much cleaner image, even when very underexposed (although not saying it's necessarily better in terms of colour etc).

I have shown various people and no one seems sure whether it's a fault or not, but everyone finds it strange that it is so prominent. One friend suggested getting the camera bench tested, however I'm struggling to find anywhere near me that does this. Has anyone ever had this done? Was it worth it / conclusive?

I have various example footage and screenshots (with different exposures) on my server to look at, if anyone has time, I'd very much appreciate any feedback on this footage. Most of the footage has been converted to high quality H264 as DVCProHD file size is too large and not everyone has the codec, however it has retained all the noise on playback so you can see the problem - there is one very short clip in DVCProHD as well:

Outdoor test (180mb):

Indoor test (130mb):

Short studio footage test (55mb):

DVCProHD - 2 second clip (45mb):

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: HVX200 Noise / Grain
on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:11:28 pm

You don't have a problem or faulty anything.
You have DVCPROHD codec and a 1/3 CCD camera.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved