FORUMS: list search recent posts

hpx 370

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Grant
hpx 370
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:19:26 pm

The HPX 370 seems like a great camera and with the $2000.00 discount it's an awesome price. But it makes be wonder if the next greatest thing is right around the corner.

I am looking to upgrade my Sony HDV, but I could wait two or three months. I am new to panasonic and I don't know how to read the tea leaves. I just don't want to be missing something that is obvious to everyone else.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: hpx 370
on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:50:43 am

You missed the new cameras that were announced at NAB in April 2001. If there is something new, which I do not believe, it will be at IBC.

http://www.panasonic-broadcast.com/en/NAB2011.php

None of those new cameras will be shipping until the fall.

HPX-370 is a great shoulder mount camera.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:54:38 am

Rent it first.

It is a CMos chip camera and it has it's limitations for sure.

I've owned many professional, full size camera's over the years and this one disappoints.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:16:06 pm

Thanks Chris,

Good advice about renting it first.

The CMOS ship doesn't excite me, but I have heard Panasonic has managed to get a great picture out if it. But I always want to hear the down side. Is there anything specific you found disappointing?

I have a Sony Z1 and for home I have a HMC-40, so I see this has moving up a step or two as it will be my first full size camera.

Cheers,
Glenn

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:11:11 pm

Thank you Steve. Nothing out of NAB seemed like a better option than the 370. and I guess if the new stuff still isn't shipping, anything else is still a long way out.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:26:03 pm

There are SO MANY things to love about this camera. It does make a beautiful picture.

24p and 30p are unusable if you are panning - in my opinion. Bad stuttering.

I was panning a room with many monitors just yesterday in 1080i_60i mode. And the image has jaggies galore, details blur when you pan. It's just sub-par IMO.

I find 60i and 60p to be the best. I have shot interviews in 24 and 30p and that is fine. It's the panning and movement that is falls apart.

I really hope they Greatly improve the cmos technology.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:26:21 pm

Thank Chris,

I certainly need to get my hands on one before I buy it. I will be using this hand held outdoors, and will need to pan quickly to keep up with the action.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Jun 26, 2011 at 8:31:23 pm

The stuttering when panning at 24fps isn't a problem with the camera. It's the format itself. When I shot film, the same issue existed. You just learned that you cannot do fast pans at that frame rate. Basic cinematography here.
I've found that this camera delivers a lot of bang for the buck. I'd challenge anyone to find another camera with the features of the HVX-370 at the same price point. Is it as good as a Sony SR-9000 camcorder? Probably not. Does it cost over 60K? Nope.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 26, 2011 at 8:44:37 pm

I find the 370 falls short in 30p or 60p as well.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]