FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP not stitching together spanned clips in L&T

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Figatner
FCP not stitching together spanned clips in L&T
on Jun 15, 2011 at 9:36:11 pm

Hello,
I know this sounds like a common issue on this forum, but I couldn't actually find my issue.

Here's the issue:
-2 camera shoot using HPX300s, only recorded to ONE 64GB (e-series) card EACH.
-used ShotPut Pro to dump card structures to local HD.
-In FCP 7.0.3 L&T window, clips that are over 5min 10frames long are split into separate clips.
IE- I record a 6 min clip, it shows up as TWO clips in the L&T window: clip one is exactly 00:05:00:10 in duration, clip two contains the rest of the footage. For some reason, FCP is not recognizing the single card span. The two clips will transcode fine and are seamless if put next to each other on timeline. This happens on BOTH P2 card images from the separate cameras.
- If I load the card(s) itself into FCP L&T, the issue is resolved and the 6 min clip shows up as a single 6 min clip.

Is this ShotPut Pro's doing? Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue? I'd like to be able to dump the cards to HD and use the image of the cards to transcode in FCP rather than the cards themselves. The extra logging/confusion is very unwelcome though.

Thanks,
Josh

Get to the choppah!!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP not stitching together spanned clips in L&T
on Jun 15, 2011 at 10:47:49 pm

Any chance you can zip the "CLIP" folders and post them here from your Shotput transfers?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dan Montgomery
on Jun 16, 2011 at 3:34:57 pm

Josh,

Since the problem as you've described relates to spanned cards, not clips, I'm guessing FCP is looking for the 'lastclip.txt' file and not finding it on the copies you made with ShotPut Pro.

This can happen if you drag just the CONTENTS folder into the ShotPut Pro processing area--you're telling it you only want to copy what's inside that folder.

Be sure to drag the card from the Attached Media list (lower left), or the card itself from the desktop into the processing list. Doing it either of these ways will ensure you copy both the lastclip.txt and the CONTENTS folder.

Video logging is just the beginning...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 16, 2011 at 3:48:32 pm

Doesn't have to do with lastclip.txt. Sorry.

It does have to do with what's in the CLIPS folder, though.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dan Montgomery
on Jun 16, 2011 at 5:25:49 pm

ShotPut Pro does not modify files or contents of folders. It does however compare that the copy exactly matches the original.

The only other explanation is the copy was stopped midstream.

Check the offload reports Josh. You should be saving them with the offloads to refer back to, particularly if you're having issues.

Might want to switch to byte-byte verification too. With File Size comparison we rely on what the OS tells us about the final files, instead of comparing each byte as it's created.

(BTW, I'm assuming you're using the latest v3.1.2 software.)

Video logging is just the beginning...

Return to posts index

Josh Figatner
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:27:55 pm

Hi everybody, thanks for the tips. To answer some of the inquiries and deepen the mystery, let me add:

- The lastclip.txt is present in both card structures.
- I'm unable to upload the CLIPS folder as my company would strongly prefer to not to have full or partial copies of unreleased footage floating around.
- I have looked at the ShotPut Pro logs and everything is a successful and accurate match/copy.

- The BEST part: So I duplicated the cards via ShotPut, found those to have 'splits' in FCP L&T, then loaded the cards themselves in L&T and was able to successfully log the clips without any splitting. Then I posted on this board.
When I remounted the duplicated card structures a day later in FCP to recreate the problem, I discovered that the splits were gone and the clips were already labeled and marked as transcoded (full blue dot), even though I had done that with the actual P2 cards and not the duplicated files. So now the problem is not present anymore, it's almost as if the program just needed to be 'shown' the right way with the actual card... sigh.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 21, 2011 at 4:29:53 pm

[Josh Figatner] "- I'm unable to upload the CLIPS folder as my company would strongly prefer to not to have full or partial copies of unreleased footage floating around."

The CLIP folder is full of text files. It's not footage, if that helps. I just want to look at the XML files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]