FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching HVX200A with HPX370

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nico Be
Matching HVX200A with HPX370
on Jun 14, 2011 at 4:24:07 pm

Hi ALL--
Any tips for for matching HVX200A footage with HPX370. We are making a feature length mockumentary film using both cameras. We know an amateur amount about the two cameras and the P2 workflow and plan to do lots of testing.

Are there any tips for matching settings on the cameras before shooting scenes for color, dof, detail etc?
or for in post production editing in Final Cut Pro 7 to help match?

Do you reccommend shooting certain types of scenes with one camera over the other (ie. closeup interviews versus wideangle setting shots)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS.

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: Matching HVX200A with HPX370
on Jun 14, 2011 at 8:25:10 pm

[Nico Be] "Are there any tips for matching settings on the cameras before shooting scenes for color, dof, detail etc?"

I'd say that you're most important thing from the start is to match codecs. The HVX200A shoots DVCproHD to P2 cards whereas the HPX370 has the capabilities of shooting AVC-Intra 100. There is no doubt that AVC-Intra is the superior compression, but if you are looking for matching and seamless timeline editing without rendering or transcoding everything to ProRes 422, then setting both cameras to record DVCProHD will be the way to go.

Supposedly the transcoding issue will be resolved in Final Cut Pro X but I'm afraid to put any weight behind that because 1) it's good to know these things anyway instead of relying on software, and 2) out of the fear of starting yet another FCPX chain/fight on the Cow. But if you aren't shooting/editing for another couple weeks, that may be something to keep in mind. Efficiently mixing codecs on a single timeline without rendering/transcoding does sound like a nice idea. But for FCP7, match codecs.

Next, you need to decide your resolution and your frame rate. In DVCProHD, you can record 720 and 1080 to P2 cards. If you choose 720, you can do 30P or 24PN. Both of these will give you true progressive footage. If you want 1080, then you are looking at 30P or 24P. 24P in 1080 requires the use of 3:2 pulldown, which while it gives you the same cinematic motion of 24PN, does utilize interlaced fields which can effect your editing. Pulldown can be removed using Compressor but that will be another few steps. Remember though, 3:2 pulldown is not a bad thing and plenty of people use it every day for very high end productions.

I'd make sure that your scene files are the same as well. I.E., use Cinelike D on both cameras, or whichever you decide will be best for your project. Barry Green's book has a great outline on what each of them do and when to use them. And Google knows too, of course.

[Nico Be] "or for in post production editing in Final Cut Pro 7 to help match?"

Always know your workflow. This video is extremely important: http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

[Nico Be] "Do you reccommend shooting certain types of scenes with one camera over the other (ie. closeup interviews versus wideangle setting shots)?"

The low light sensitivity of the HPX370 is superior to that of the HVX200A so that's always something to keep in mind. Beyond that, the glass on the 370 is better as well so I'd use it really as your A cam. Closeups and interviews would be better suited to the 370 and the HVX is great for out and about. It's also less conspicuous than the HPX370 so that may or may not be a plus for you.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your project!

Panasonic HPX170 P
2008 Unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM
CalDigit VR
Final Cut Pro Studio 3
Avid Media Composer
The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]