FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 card archive

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Klaeser
P2 card archive
on Jun 10, 2011 at 12:05:38 pm

Does anyone use Blu-ray as an archive format? What Blu-ray burner are you using and is there a burner that has a P2 card slot that you can insert the card directly into and burn a disc?

Neal Klaeser
Real to Reel Productions

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekcioglu
Re: P2 card archive
on Jun 11, 2011 at 5:06:01 am

We have a 60K archiving solution from rimage that takes P2 cards directly and writes to blu-ray, however I would not recommend anybody to use blu-ray as an archiving solution. (we never used the system for that, duplication only).

Hard Drive based Raid-1 solutions with a LTO/VXA back up is the best way IMHO.

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: P2 card archive
on Jun 13, 2011 at 7:37:12 pm

I have used both Blu-Ray and RAID 1 arrays as backup for P2 cards and I do happen to like using Blu-Ray. Hard drives are nice but in the end, they will fail. Every hard drive will fail as a rule of thumb. Not to mention the wasted disc space.

LTO tape is probably the best and most reliable way to go but that also will wind up costing you.

The scratch resistant coatings on Blu-Ray discs are quite nice and the data that they can store is ever increasing (soon to be 128 GB's on a single BDXL Quad Layer disc). Of course, you need the burner to burn that size disc and to my knowledge, the discs are not yet available.

Blu-Ray discs are not cheap and a bundle of 50 BRDL discs (50gig discs) will cost you 330, but that would give you 2.5TB of pretty reliable storage so it's up to you if you think that's worth it.

The bundles from are really excellent and you can find an internal or an external bundle for Mac or PC that can fit your needs. Just remember, if you're on a Mac you will need software, such as Toast, in order to burn a Blu-Ray data disc like a P2 archive. This is all included in the Mac Blu-Ray bundles.

In response to your question, there are no Blu-Ray drives specifically designed for this purpose so there won't be any that can take a P2 card directly. But honestly, the Pioneer Blu-Ray burners are the only way to go. I have the Panasonic AJ-PCD2 card reader and for the money, it's a rip off for USB 2.0, but it works every time and having come from the notoriously unreliable Duel Adapter, it's worth every penny if you ask me.

Links to what I'm talking about:

Videoguys Blue-Ray Bundles:

Pioneer BDXL Burner:

BRDL Spindle:

Panasonic Card Reader:

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Panasonic HPX170 P
2008 Unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM
CalDigit VR
Final Cut Pro Studio 3
Avid Media Composer
The College of WIlliam and Mary