FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic PCD 20 general question

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Romanis
Panasonic PCD 20 general question
on May 23, 2011 at 6:57:12 am

Just a couple of general use questions to other users of this device.
I have had this reader for a couple of years now and have generally been dissapointed with it's performance over firewire. Recently we have noticed clip corruption even though Shot put has verfied the transfer as good.
I performed a back to back test using the USB connection and found it faster to transfer than the 1394b connection, and presented no corruption when transferred.
I checked these results against a loan unit from Panasonic and found very similar results, aside from the file corruption when transferring via 1394b.
Has anyone else experienced similar issues, or carried out a FW 800 vs USB offload test?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Panasonic PCD 20 general question
on May 23, 2011 at 8:11:08 pm

Please give more info like what system you're on, what drives, firmware of unit, etc.

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on May 23, 2011 at 9:21:57 pm

Hi Jeremy,
The tests have been done with 3 different MBP laptops, two running 10.5.8, and the other 10.6.3. The software in each is compliant with the OSX versions.
The firmware in both PCD 20's is up to date.
The cards were a mixture of E and A series cards, in some tests all A series, and in other tests all E series.
Different cables were used to remove any question about connection issues.
The target drive in each test was the MBP's own internal drive, in some earlier tests I used a 1394 target drive for the older MBP's with 400/800 connections, resulting in an expected slow down in transfer speeds.
The consistent thing with all the tests was the surprise that the PCD 20's USB connection was faster than the 1394b connection.
Drag and drop tests were marginally faster then those done with Shotput set to verify file size only.
Shotput set to verify file contents was much slower, generally around 30% slower.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 23, 2011 at 9:44:16 pm

Yeah, that sounds about right. I was checking to see if you were also using a fw drive, which I wouldn't recommend.

Yes, verifying slows things down a bit but that is to be expected, and worth the wait.

Are you against using USB?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on May 23, 2011 at 9:58:31 pm

Not against using USB, just find it curious that it is faster than 1394b, and by a fair bit.
The only downside to using USB with the PCD 20 is that the P2 formatter software won't work, it does not recognise the USB bus. 1394b works fine with this.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 23, 2011 at 10:16:12 pm

As a test you should also try using P2CMS where you export a p2 card with verify on and see how it goes.

I have never run the side by side tests. We use the fw port on the PCD20. It's never been lighting fast.

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on May 24, 2011 at 12:10:38 am

P2CMS is generally a bit slower through the same paths.
Are you able to test and confirm if your PCD 20 is the same? Is the USB faster into your Mac than 1394b?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 24, 2011 at 1:36:47 am

It's out shooting, but I can check when it gets back later this week.

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Jun 1, 2011 at 3:33:32 am

Hi Jeremy,
I was wondering if you have had any time to compare transfer speeds 1394b vs USB?
Matthew.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on May 30, 2011 at 6:36:59 am

A Panasonic field rep once told me that a FireWire 800 bus can actually become overloaded, and result in corruptions when transfering P2 cards. USB doesn't suffer from the same issue, due to the way it handles things when it reaches maximum throughut. When you experienced the corruptions, were you transferring from the PCD20 via FW800 to an external FW800 drive? That would do it.

I tested the PCD20 before I got the PCD35. I was very disappointed to find that FW800 was no faster than USB2, even though Panasonic clearly advertised that it was. A regretable ploy on Panasonic's part. You spend $2000-some dollars on a device, and it doesn't come close to the advertised speed.

-------------------
Documentary Camera
http://www.losangelescameraman.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Jun 1, 2011 at 3:32:25 am

Hi Helmut,
That may be the case of Panasonic's FW Bus in the PCD series card readers, but I have never experienced file corruption on the FW 800 bus in our MAC's with HDD's, CF card readers, or RED Mag's, to level that occurs with the PCD 20 and multiple card reads.
Are you using your PCD 35 in the field with a laptop, and if so, may I ask what interface you are using with the PCIe bus to the laptop?
Matthew.

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
on Feb 11, 2012 at 9:49:25 am

I can confirm that the PCD20 9s slower over firewire than USB. A bit strange and a waste of my time trying to get to the bottom of this. Just annoyed as I can't format P2 cards over USB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]