FORUMS: list search recent posts

MXF structure P2 cards missing data

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milan Collin
MXF structure P2 cards missing data
on May 19, 2011 at 9:48:05 am

Hi all,

I am working on a project where we filmed on a P2 cam (HPX171e). With the off loading part something went wrong and the person who did this copied only the video files instead of the whole card. This means that we are missing the audio files anyway but I am trying to fix the footage data. I already saw the clips so I know it is there.

What is the best way to restall this. I tried to make the same MXF bin structure and throw in the video files but this did not work. I am sure I miss something what is telling FCP what to do with these clips.

Is there someone who knows how to fix this or maybe you need more information on this let me know.

Thanks for your help. Kind regards,

Milan

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: MXF structure P2 cards missing data
on May 19, 2011 at 2:51:26 pm

You need to purchase one of the MXF import plugins such as MXF4Mac, Calibrated, etc. Or try MPEGStreamclip.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Milan Collin
on May 19, 2011 at 3:06:16 pm

Thanks for your answer.

Through Mpeg streamclip is an option or through CS5 it works also but this takes a lot of extra time with so many clips (roughly 1500). If I could find a possibility to rebuild the structure so it can be imported that would be the best option.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 19, 2011 at 4:35:22 pm

Mmm yeah sorry- cannot be done. Next time, don't hire that guy...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

David Keslick
on May 19, 2011 at 9:27:00 pm

The best way to correct this problem is with a third party product. You can scan the mxf files with Raylight for Mac and then import the resulting files directly into FCP.

You can try the demo at

http://dvfilm.com/raylight/mac/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Dave Keslick
DVFilm.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 19, 2011 at 10:46:25 pm

That's what I said... :)

Noah

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 23, 2011 at 6:53:40 am

I'll say it too. At this point the only option is third party apps like Raylight, Calibrated or MXF4Mac. But you will not have any audio...but you know that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Milan Collin
on May 25, 2011 at 1:53:35 pm

He guys,

thanks for all your comments and it looks that the 3rd parties win here. What is the difference if I direct import the video files into fcp, create a timeline and export it to a new masterclip with the same settings. It cost a lot of time that's for ure but is there another reason not to do this. I am losing (or lost already) sound anyway and go for the clips without audio.

Thanks! Milan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 25, 2011 at 6:44:52 pm

[Milan Collin] "What is the difference if I direct import the video files into fcp, create a timeline and export it to a new masterclip with the same settings."

Well, first off now you will have a Quicktime file instead of directly accessing the MXF files. But second, and the DOWNSIDE, is that if you lose this file for any reason, there is no easy way to recover it. Not like losing media from properly ingested or captured media. Just simply recapture.

But why do that? If you have one of those third party solutions working, why make a new file? Just accesss the MXF files direct. Well...AFTER you copy them to your Capture Scratch. Don't work from the Master backup.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on May 26, 2011 at 3:29:31 am

If you get P2CMS from Panasonic (free download) it installs the MXF codec for quicktime and you can then drag the MXF files directly into FCP. (You don't have to use P2CMS for anything, just install it.)

The biggest downside would be that you have to sync all the audio clips manually in FCP, but since you have no audio I don't suppose this is a game-stopper. You'd also lose metadata (but FCP carries precious little of that).

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Milan Collin
on Jun 3, 2011 at 9:54:30 am

Thanks for all your comments and will do so. I have now all the master media (XMF files) on a disk which I do not touch and another disk holds the quicktime files where we do the edit from.

I started first to make a new timeline in fcp for those mxf files which missed audio and created an new file but it will be better to have each quicktime clip separate and give a name to that.

I managed to do projects over 300hrs of footage with P2 but never had this problem before. If you don't do it properly at the start you loose a lot of time proofs this again.

Best regards, Milan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]