FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting in UK/Germany

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Mackay
Shooting in UK/Germany
on May 18, 2011 at 3:58:52 pm

In a few weeks I will be traveling to Europe to shoot interviews for a corporate piece. I need to know what to change in my HVX200 settings to prevent flicker from the 50hz electrical supply. I need to be shooting at 30pn.
Thanks for any tips.

Return to posts index

Philip Merten
Re: Shooting in UK/Germany
on May 18, 2011 at 4:56:18 pm

If your shooting in fluorescent light set your shutter at 50 and that should get rid of the flicker..

Return to posts index

Peter Mackay
on May 18, 2011 at 5:03:25 pm

Reducing the shutter from 180 to 50 will result in not being able to shoot in available light and will also cause strobing due to the narrow shutter. Is this the only solution?

Return to posts index

Philip Merten
on May 18, 2011 at 5:10:59 pm

If you shoot it in PAL that would also solve the flicker problem but probably create new issues at the same time. Anytime that I've gone to a country that uses 220V current I always set my shutter to 50 in fluorescent lighting situations and that's solved the problem..

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 18, 2011 at 5:22:21 pm

Do you only have to worry about it for the flo's?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 18, 2011 at 6:53:02 pm

Also sodium vapor lamps. Personally I've found this to be massive PITA when going into PAL/50 countries such that I've switched to renting gear locally to get around it. Problem is unless you're working with a decent sized monitor you will miss the flickering more often than not while shooting. And it's pretty much impossible to get out in post.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on May 19, 2011 at 12:11:05 am

I did a shoot in Denmark with my HPX170 and a shoot in France with my 5D MKII. In both cases, 1/50th of a second shutter removed all ballasted lamp flicker issues, the video looked great.

Dan

A Producer Who Is Also A DP? Yep, that's Me.

http://www.danbrockett.com

Return to posts index

Peter Mackay
on May 19, 2011 at 1:17:42 am

Thanks for all the replys guys, I got it now. I had assumed the first poster had suggested changing the shutter angle from 180deg to 50 deg. So I will go with the 1/50sec exposure.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on May 19, 2011 at 5:16:47 am

you will also need 240v UK and 220v Germany bulbs for your lights..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]