FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic HVX200A vs. Sony NX5U

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Klaeser
Panasonic HVX200A vs. Sony NX5U
on May 17, 2011 at 12:41:14 pm

Trying to decide between these two cameras. They both have advantages but the cost of media is a huge consideration. Most of my work is SD but occasionally I shoot HD. I am looking for a format that has the easiest workflow into FCP.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Panasonic HVX200A vs. Sony NX5U
on May 17, 2011 at 5:00:14 pm

EASIEST workflow? HVX-200a...or get the HPX-170...lighter, no DV tape...otherwise identical. But the P2 cards are more expensive...but, you get 4:2:2 color space.

The NX5 media is cheaper...the lens is better...but it records to 4:2:0 color space (which isn't a HUGE deal, but just FYI)...and getting it into FCP takes more time as it needs to transcode to ProRes. DVCPRO HD just gets re-wrapped into QT, and is faster.

The HVX shoots anamorphic HD...the NX5 shoots full raster HD.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Neal Klaeser
on May 17, 2011 at 6:13:19 pm

How much time do you think it takes to import a file from the Sony camera? I suppose it depends on the speed of the machine and how big the file is? Could approximate given a 20 gb file porting into an iMac?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 17, 2011 at 6:56:54 pm

2.5 times real time. For every min of footage on the NX5, it takes it 2.5 min to convert. Not as fast as P2...that is about 1 min per gig...and the time to time comparison depends on the format you shot. For 720p...faster than real time. 1080i...about real time.

Shane

Return to posts index

Neal Klaeser
on May 17, 2011 at 10:08:44 pm

Wow! So, where is time savings? I would move more towards P2 since it transfers one minute per gig. Right?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 17, 2011 at 10:25:25 pm

Well, offloading both takes about the same time...because the first stage after shooting is ALWAYS backing up. Those times are comparable.

Importing into FCP...well, that's where time starts to differ. But many people want quality over ease of use (going by lens types, full raster vs anamorphic). Or don't like the high cost of P2 media. There are other things to judge than speed.

But, if speed, and ease of use in FCP is your main concern, then the HPX-170 or HVX-200...most of the P2 cameras...are a good choice.

Shane

Return to posts index

Neal Klaeser
on May 18, 2011 at 10:44:42 am

I would have to say in my situation that P 2 would be the best choice because most of the work that I do which is seminars, meetings and dance recitals. The last meeting I recorded three cameras with a total of six hours per camera.

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on May 19, 2011 at 10:04:56 pm

I own an HVX 201 and I love it the P2 and the FS workflow into Final Cut is a dream and I've never had any problems (knock on wood). You say you shoot mainly SD, well the HVX can shoot SD to tape or to the Firestore.

One thing to consider is the set up cost, if you buy your P2 cards they're pretty expensive for a workable size. 64gb will give 128 minutes at 720 and half that at 1080 and last time I checked they were about £6-700 about $1000.

Though a firestore will give you just under 3 hours at full quality and that costs around £1000 about $1600. I was lucky I picked up mine 2nd hand a couple of years ago for £3500 with a Firestore FS-100 and 2 8gb cards and a tripod.

If you're working in the field with a FS or P2, like Shane says it'll take a minute a gig to dump your footage.

If you don't mind used equipment, try and find a good professional who wants to offload theirs, or if you can afford it new, go for it!

http://www.rolirivelino.com/

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Neal Klaeser
on May 19, 2011 at 11:41:44 pm

I understand that you can record SD on the P2 cards.

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on May 20, 2011 at 11:41:41 am

You probably can, I've just never had any reason to try it, I'm sure you can flip the P2 button to DV and it'll record at SD, which is what you do for the firestore.

http://www.rolirivelino.com/

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Neal Klaeser
on May 23, 2011 at 12:35:42 pm

I was a little concerned with the loading time aspect. If I do decide to shoot in the SD mode. Is the loadtime the same as HD? 2.5 times realtime?

Neal Klaeser
Real to Reel Productions
http://www.realvideopro.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 23, 2011 at 3:02:01 pm

Shoot SD just because of the load time? What is your final deliverable?

Shane

Return to posts index

Neal Klaeser
on May 23, 2011 at 3:23:09 pm

SD. I am trying to replace some aging cameras and cutting down on load time. I have a client that has me locked into for the next couple of years to record all day seminars. I normally shoot with two cameras.

Neal Klaeser
Real to Reel Productions
http://www.realvideopro.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]