FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flicker problem with LED stage lights

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Davis
Flicker problem with LED stage lights
on May 14, 2011 at 11:37:28 pm

I'm shooting DVCPro HD on a Panasonic HPX170 of a restaurant stage lit with LED lights. Didn't flicker on the attached LCD screen while shooting a test, but horrible flicker when I viewed the footage in Final Cut Pro. I put my 60fps footage into a 30fps timeline and the flicker was almost gone - although some interlacing appeared. If I can't get the venue to change out the lights - what's my best option? I'm concerned about combining 30fps and 60fps timelines in one FCP project. (If the answer is synching the camcorder to the LEDs any advice and/or step by step instructions for HPX170 would be much appreciated).

Return to posts index

Jason Severino
Re: Flicker problem with LED stage lights
on May 15, 2011 at 12:19:37 am

LED's flicker at I think 60Hz per second, intermingling with your initial frame rate. they do sell flicker-less leds, at 120Hz per second, but this might be out of the question if everything is already set in stone. Its like recording with old VCR Video recorders on CRT monitors would have the scrolling effect, when watched it was slightly faster. I would guess this is similar to the electrical flicker with the LEDs. Can you set the camera to start off at 30 fps, or would the quality be too greatly effected?

Return to posts index

Anne Davis
on May 15, 2011 at 5:28:25 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I can shoot a 30fps test with the camcorder. Maybe playback on the camcorder's LCD while still in the venue to see about flicker at various settings. I'm shooting a stage in a restaurant, lighting is fairly low even with the LED lights on the stage. I'm concerned if 30fps will affect image resolution?

I have numerous interviews already shot at 60fps - possible to use both the 30fps and 60fps on same Final Cut Pro timeline for editing without creating additional problems?

If I can't get the lights changed out and/or bring in additional lights (assuming shooting at 30fps w. addt'l lights to help resolution), are there any additional FCP options to make this work?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 17, 2011 at 3:45:36 am

Any chance you can post a few seconds of full resolution footage?

Return to posts index

Anne Davis
on May 21, 2011 at 2:12:14 am

Thanks for responding. The venue is going to try to change out the fixtures so I can reshoot. I'll post footage if venue isn't able to change out lights -- I'll need help for sure!

Return to posts index

Chris Brown
on May 17, 2011 at 6:26:41 pm

Depending on the manufacturer, I've seen many of the cheaper LED fixtures actually output light at 80-82Hz. I've had to syncro-scan some cameras to compensate.

Return to posts index

Anne Davis
on May 21, 2011 at 2:06:34 am

Thanks for quick reply. Venue is willing to work with me on the lights, I've tried several random settings but will try your fix if they aren't abot to change out the fixtures.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]