FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Cards to Laptop

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Klaeser
P2 Cards to Laptop
on May 9, 2011 at 12:51:24 pm

I am thinking of purchasing a HPX170 and was concerned about the number of P2 cards that I would need to purchase in order to complete the project. I own an older G4 PowerBook that I would consider using to download the cards to as I shoot. Is this a possibility or do I need a Panasonic device to download the cards to. The laptop has a PCMIA slot.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: P2 Cards to Laptop
on May 9, 2011 at 1:57:19 pm

Laptop will take the cards.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Neal Klaeser
on May 9, 2011 at 2:06:47 pm

Do I just insert the card and drag the files over to an external hard drive or do I need to use a Panasonic application to transfer the files?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 9, 2011 at 2:10:51 pm

At the least, use P2CMS software free from panny.
Make sure you check out the Tapeless workflow tutorial here on the cow by Shane Ross.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 9, 2011 at 5:48:52 pm

First, you need to install the P2 driver so the computer will recognize the card. Available from http://www.Panasonic.com/p2. Then yes, you can just drag and drop from the card to folders on an external drive. That is not the best option though...sometimes that doesn't get everything. It is best to get Shotput Pro and use that to not only automate the offload process, but to also do file verifications of the copied cards. I use my G4 laptop for P2 offload, and I couldn't live without it.

Here's the workflow link: Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Neal Klaeser
on May 9, 2011 at 6:01:10 pm

Thank you Shane. I have watched the podcast and found it to be very informative. Do you have any recommendations between the 200a and the 170? I am moving from a tape based editing system and the workflow is a little intimidating.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 9, 2011 at 6:02:57 pm

The 200a and the 170 have exactly the same sensor and lens. The main differences is that the 170 has one more ND setting, a couple more focus assists, mappable function buttons so you can map a quick DELETE LAST CLIP function. OH, and it is a good 1.5 pounds lighter...as there is no tape mechanism.

I'd opt for the 170 any day...as I NEVER have to shoot or deal with DV tape anymore. And the additional ND filter is nice to have. As is the light weight.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]