FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio noise in HVX-200

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Tannenbaum
audio noise in HVX-200
on Apr 27, 2011 at 7:43:50 pm

I just bought an HVX-200. I was using the camera as an interface to record a VO into Final Cut. I couldn't hear it, but two other people said there was a low hum that they said sounded like noise in a speaker if you listen to a speaker that isn't playing music.

I do know that it wasn't a 60 cycle hum.

The only way that I "heard" it was when the clip ended and it played into blank space on the FCP timeline i heard complete silence.

When I switched to my older DVX-100 the noise was not there. Any settings in the HVX-200 that i should look at?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: audio noise in HVX-200
on Apr 27, 2011 at 8:18:04 pm

What sort of microphone and how were you placing the mic? Mic noise can be due to not enough level, lower quality mic, too far placement, bad cables, etc.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

David Tannenbaum
on Apr 27, 2011 at 8:24:47 pm

Using an sm-58. They were good in the camera but a little low in Final Cut. I will keep that in mind for the next time. thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 27, 2011 at 9:28:17 pm

Yeah the key to good audio is strong signal to noise ratio- which means setting the proper levels, using good mics, cables and getting the mic as close as practical to the talent.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Bill Farnsworth
on Oct 13, 2011 at 3:07:43 pm

The audio hum has been bugging me for quite some time when the camera is connected to a monitor via component or composite or S-video. ALL methods of isolation that any professional camera crew were in vain. This included ground lifter, battery power on camera, monitor, mixer. Isolating HMI ballasts. Removing dimmers and installing a ferrite choke on the D4 component out cable. A few things were discovered. A composite SD signal via coax was the quitest. Setting the component output to 1080i produced the worse hum. Two headphones via Y cable reduced the hum. However, nothing eliminated the buzz or hum. We finally just gave up and would disconnect the monitor (Panasonic 17" field monitor) when it came time to roll.
I then discovered quite by accident, that (in the recording menu)setting the audio to -60db instead of the default -50db, the hum was eliminated or was so far down in the basement that it was virtually unnoticeable.
I have no idea why this works. I don't even care at this point. I just know that it got the job done.

Regards,
Bill Farnsworth.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]