FORUMS: list search recent posts

Native progressive 25p in the HPX 500

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francisco Bech Gómez
Native progressive 25p in the HPX 500
on Apr 22, 2011 at 10:34:09 am

Hello, I would like to know if the HPX 500 shoots in native progressive mode 25 p like the old sdx 900. I am not very god with th specs and I am confused. I heard it does but only in SD, is this true?

Thanks a lot and best regards

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Native progressive 25p in the HPX 500
on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:28:54 pm

YES.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Francisco Bech Gómez
on Apr 22, 2011 at 7:43:25 pm

Ok, I am starting to see. By that chart seems I get the true native progreesive in HD at 720, is that right? it is worthit to llok for a camara with native progressive in 1080?

On the other hand, what´s the bad part of shooting in 1080 at 25 p over 50i? and what´s the diffrence between 50i and 60i?

the last thing, if I am in europe do I have to shoot in 25p in instead of 24p for any particular reason?

I know is somany questions, sorry about that. I jist need to clear all this up

Thanks very much and best regards

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:07:17 pm

You're in PAL land, you want to shoot in 50i.
In the states were NTSC - 60i.

Yes, 24p native only in the 720p mode. But you still can shoot 25p in 1080. It'll be wrapped in a 50i container.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Francisco Bech Gómez
on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:51:55 pm

Is that a bad thing if I want to achieve the film look? is ther a reason i should go 1080 over 720?

thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 23, 2011 at 12:36:19 pm

[Francisco Bech Gómez] "I want to achieve the film look? is ther a reason i should go 1080 over 720?"

Where is your video going to wind up? DVD, Web, broadcast, theatre...

Stick with 720. You'll be fine.

The 500 is a great all-in-one camera. If you are only after the "film look", look at the AF100.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Francisco Bech Gómez
on Apr 23, 2011 at 3:10:51 pm

Hello, thanks for the input. I was going to college at olumbia College Chicago some years ago, great city!

Is a documentary to be shown in theaters and festival, then broadcast and sold in DVD

I have lost track with all these new cameras since I did a project 3 years ago with the sdx900

Something that is giving me a headache is: besides the technical issues, is there a difference in the look of the video if you shoot 25p vs. 25pn? I mean, does the 25p looks kind of fake compared to the native 25P or something like that?

I am looking at sony cameras too, and they dont say anything about 24PN, in the specs is just 24p, and that´s with the xpensive models too, why?

Thanks a lot for your help

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 23, 2011 at 9:53:35 pm

[Francisco Bech Gómez] " is there a difference in the look of the video if you shoot 25p vs. 25pn?"

There is absolutely no difference in look. The only difference is the amount of frames captured to P2 card.

As I said, if you are looking for a camera that gives you a "film look" with shallow depth of field, you want the Panasonic AF100. With any camera, the lens also makes a huge difference in achieving the look you want. Not all cameras have the option of adding an adapter. HDSLRs do the same thing but need a lot of technical experience to shoot correctly.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Francisco Bech Gómez
on Apr 24, 2011 at 2:27:55 pm

Hello, I been looking at the specs of the sdx900 and it wasn´t native either. I did not know there was no difference, so 24pn is more like a way to save space then?

I am looking at the f100 , it looks really nice, I m choosing between this and the pxh 500, I dont know id the DVCHD would be a bbter choice than the f100 format. I been looking at some sony as well, but in sony I think the colors are very cold, is this just me?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 25, 2011 at 12:15:10 am

[Francisco Bech Gómez] "but in sony I think the colors are very cold, is this just me?"
That what scene files are for. You can customize your colors and all your camera settings to your liking.

Point and shoot is for amateurs. Even if you do white balance.

[Francisco Bech Gómez] "sdx900 and it wasn´t native either"
That is because that camera shoots to tape. It is also an SD camera.

Keep reading and get all the education you can on cameras, frame rates and NLE workflow.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Francisco Bech Gómez
on Apr 25, 2011 at 2:34:02 am

Do you know a good book or books about all this?, or a web site?

Thanks a lot!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]