FORUMS: list search recent posts

Freaking out!!! Problem with .mov files from FS-100, filmed on HVX-200

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ashley marie
Freaking out!!! Problem with .mov files from FS-100, filmed on HVX-200
on Apr 11, 2011 at 2:53:54 pm

I am about to have a panic attack:

I shot about 2 hours of footage the other night for a client on my HVX-200 onto my Firestore FS-100. I shot in HD in Quicktime format. I've never had an issue with the quicktime format before. There are about 60 files and when I view them through the camera, they are fine. BUT When I try viewing them on the computer either FROM the firestore or after transferring them to another drive, THERE IS A MAJOR PROBLEM. PLEASE HELP ME:

- First, the files all have crazy long durations. I paused recording between a lot of the songs, so I could reset up my position or whatever, but each clip has a duration of like 20 minutes of 46 minutes, but they are in reality only 4- 8 minutes in length, IF that long.

- The videos just STOP playing at a certain point. Like 52 seconds in or 2:12 in, and it will FREEZE but the counter will keep going. WTF?!

Are my files corrupt???? WHAT IS WRONG??? I am absolutely freaking out. I am playing a file now on the camera and its FINE. I keeps going after like 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 4 minutes. But none of the files that are on my computer will play past a certain point (Each song is different). It doesn't matter if I'm in preview mode or playing it out of quicktime or finalcut.

Please give me some of your wisdom so I don't have to tell the client that I messed up. :(

Return to posts index

ashley marie
*UPDATE* Re: Freaking out!!! Problem with .mov files from FS-100, filmed on HVX-200
on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:37:16 pm

EDIT: I have discovered something:
-- File 0w01 stops playing at 2:12, in the middle of the dude's song, and the counter keeps going for like 20 minutes. BUT THE NEXT FILE, 0w02, starts playing EXACTLY where the first file quit....... if I drop them into Final Cut, they show up with the correct run times and if I put them in the timeline next to one another, they play seamlessly as if they are one file ......

W. T. F.

The client who needs these files (he's editing the project, I just shot it) is working on a PC in Vegas 10. I'm on a Mac. He said he couldnt read ANY of the .mov files I had given him (before I discovered this weird problem) and said he was only getting audio....... so what format can I convert them to for him to get what he needs? AVI? And when I convert them, will the weird long durations show up too???

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: *UPDATE* Re: Freaking out!!! Problem with .mov files from FS-100, filmed on HVX-200
on Apr 11, 2011 at 4:17:09 pm

Don't know what to tell you other than firestore is a POS. I'd suggest calling their tech support right away and have them help you. Cannot recommend highly enough dumping yours and going to P2 cards instead. They are so cheap now there's zero logic in using the FS anymore.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: *UPDATE* Re: Freaking out!!! Problem with .mov files from FS-100, filmed on HVX-200
on Apr 11, 2011 at 4:29:16 pm

I second that. I had 2 different shoots where a file or 3 were junk from using a FS100. That's it for me. No More.

P2 Cards all the way.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

ashley marie
on Apr 11, 2011 at 8:43:32 pm

:( The firestores I have were included with the camera I bought (used from a friend of a friend) and up until this point haven't given me any issues. I've been hesitant to sell them and buy p2 cards because I'm not sure if I could get enough for both of them to cover the cost of 2 p2 cards.

Also -- do you have to have a special p2 card reader? Or can you hook the camera up to the computer and use it as the reader?

In the mean time, do anyone know if there's anything special I should do in converting the .mov to .avi without losing quality?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 11, 2011 at 8:53:22 pm

Free software, MPEG Stream Clip.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Anthony Gutierrez
on Apr 12, 2011 at 5:24:14 pm

You should be able to hook ur HVX200 straight to ur laptop using firewire.. u might have to download a driver.

Anthony Gutierrez
StickyFeet Studio

Return to posts index

Anthony Gutierrez
on Apr 12, 2011 at 5:28:35 pm

Hi Ashley-
sorry to hear about the chaos, but if you have no problems in FC- it looks like you'll need to convert to avi or wmv. I am pretty sure you'll lose timecodes as I remember a friend telling me about his problems with FS100 and FC. I use CS5 with my HVX200 - SOoooo I am not sure what formats FC will let you convert to, but try a couple of short 10-20 seconds clips in a variety of formats. I'm sure this has crossed your trouble shooting mind

Anthony Gutierrez
StickyFeet Studio

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Apr 17, 2011 at 12:28:21 am

It's a common problem with the FS-100, but it really doesn't matter since the clips will work just fine when you edit them. The clips are most like broken due to the FAT-32 formatting on the Firestore disk. It will break the clips up ever few minutes doe to the file size limitations of FAT-32. I have this problem when I use my FS-100 also, but there's no problem when editing in FCP. The clips behave just fine. The problem with the clips not playing in Vega might be due to the DVCProHD format. Unless Vegas can work with DVCProHD, it won't be able to read the clips at all. I'm not familiar with Vegas, but check if it can read that HD format.
Don't panic, it's not a big deal and is pretty much a normal issue and you just work around it. Don't know why it shows those really long clips, but it's usually only that way in Quicktime player and not in FCP...it just does.
Tom

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]