FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tranferring Scene File Between Cameras?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Moede
Tranferring Scene File Between Cameras?
on Apr 6, 2011 at 11:51:00 pm

Afternoon all...was wondering one quick question. We have 2 P2 cameras in-house, the HPX-170 and the HPX-370. Is there any way to transfer scene files between the 2 cameras in order to color match them? We've gone through and saved the settings to an SD card, but a card formatted in the 170 shows "no file" when read by the 370. And vice-versa. (A 370-formatted card, with a scene file saved does not show up in the 170.)

I hope I'm explaining this well...but my basic question is...can the 170 and the 370 share scene files?

Thanks much for your help, your thoughts or any really good cookie recipes that you would like to share!

-Bill

Bill Moede
Editor & Producer
InDyne @ NASA Ames Research Center
Moffett Field, Calif.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Tranferring Scene File Between Cameras?
on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:47:00 am

I'd guess they are not directly compatible. Easiest thing would be eyeball match settings on a good set of monitors.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Apr 7, 2011 at 12:09:26 pm

Hi,

the HPX370 and the HPX170 ar two completely different cameras. The chip set is different and so is the DSP. Get yourself a vectorscope, a Chroma du Monde chart and a good quality monitor and match them as this is the only way you will really get close. You can eyeball with the Chroma du Monde but keep in mind they will always need grading in post to finish it. The chips sets are just that different.

Best,

Jan

Product Manager, AVCCAM, AG-3DA1, AG-AF100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

William Moede
on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:14:30 pm

Noah and Jan...thanks for the responses. We figured it was something along those lines (different sensors, different software) but we were hoping that someone might have a trick or three up their sleeves.

Thanks much again for your time.

All the best...Bill

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 7, 2011 at 5:17:35 pm

Sure you could hire me for and I'll do it for you. :)

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 7, 2011 at 6:25:29 pm

[William Moede] "we were hoping that someone might have a trick or three up their sleeves"

You can begin by buying a color chart. Check out DCS labs.

I like Noah's idea. Hire one of us.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

William Moede
on Apr 7, 2011 at 6:33:05 pm

@Noah and @Steve...we're looking at layoffs due to a potential govt. shutdown...so money is almost non-existent! I wish we could hire in additional help.

We have chip charts and scopes and we manage to balance multiple camera shoots ...with our Sony D50s and CCUs...so balancing's not a problem. It's just more complicated to sit there in front of your switcher and yell at your camera guy (who's halfway across a ballroom) to increase his color temperature a Kelvin at a time.

Was hoping for something as simple as copying one camera setting to another camera...but that's not going to happen.

I know...we'll just have to convince mgmt that we need additional 370s...problem solved! Wish us luck! And pray for no shutdown!

Best...Bill

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:12:16 am

Yeah it's a PITA- but you only have to do it once and then save settings.

Noah

Return to posts index

James Fortier
on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:12:13 am

Jan,

Just upgraded from the HPX300 to the HPX370, I tried to load the scene files from my SD Card (downloaded from the Panasonic site at http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/scene_files.asp?model=HPX300) and I keep getting a NG No Files error message. I'm guessing the 370 will not read scene files from an SD Card with HPX300 scene files? If that's the case, any idea when Panasonic will make custom scene files available for the HPX370 similar to the HPX300 and other P2 Cameras?

Return to posts index

on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:08:53 pm

Pretty sure that the scene files will not work right off the download, but you could try and open them on your computer and replace the AG-HPX300 header with one that is generated by your camera. To do this save a scene file to an SD card, open it on a computer copy the header in that file and paste it into the HPX300 file, thus replacing the one that identifies the file as being one for the 300. If this doesn't work you can always do it the hard way and input the numbers manually.

As far as Panasonic making ones specifically for the HPX371, well I don't know. The 370 is not my product area at this point, I am now in charge of the AVCCAM product line and the two small P2 handhelds, the 170 and the 200.

Best,

Jan

Product Manager, AVCCAM, AG-3DA1, AG-AF100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

James Fortier
on Apr 21, 2011 at 1:45:26 am

Excellent, it worked, thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]