FORUMS: list search recent posts

fs-100=grainy footage?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris iuliano
fs-100=grainy footage?
on Apr 1, 2011 at 3:20:12 am

Is there a difference between recording to p2 cards or the fs-100 as far as grainy footage is concerned? I pretty much think my footage looks grainy either way, but someone im working with was wondering if its because the hard drive is compressing it more. figured id ask the question in here.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: fs-100=grainy footage?
on Apr 1, 2011 at 12:35:14 pm

Grainy footage is caused by a few variables. The most common is shooting without properly lighting the scene. The second is caused by not tweaking the scene file. I find it hard to believe recording to P2 or the FS-100 would make that much of a difference. The compression to the hard drive should be the same data rate as the P2 card.

Hooking up the camera to a calibrated broadcast monitor and adjusting the scene files to your liking under good lighting conditions yield excellent results. Scene files can be saved and reused.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

chris iuliano
on Apr 1, 2011 at 5:24:54 pm

Thanks for your reply. The scene was lit (properly, i believe). As for the scene file, I followed what the HVX book said to set everything at to get the least amount of noise possible, but still, there is noise. Maybe I just need to massively overlight the rooms and just adjust the iris? Would that get rid of the noise? Here a link to one of the clips I'm talking about

the image is just not crisp and im shooting at 720/24p at 60fps so it should be HD crisp. Do you have specific scene file settings you use to get rid of all the damn noise?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Apr 1, 2011 at 8:56:42 pm

Lighting is an art. You can't just throw a light or two on a stand or a camera. You need multiple lights with flags, barndoors, diffusers, bounce cards and gels. Adding a lens adapter with a fast lens will help. It's obvious, the lower the lighting, the more gain. Some cameras handle it better than others. The RED camera has an incredible dynamic range and f-stop latitude. I saw an image on the new Sony F-3 that was incredible in low light.

Not everyone can afford to use a 2 ton grip truck on every shoot. On the other hand, I have seen some incredible videos using a combination of a few LED lights and natural lighting. Each scene and location is lit different. It all takes time.

You should try shooting 720/24PN if you want the 24p look. There are third party filters that will help in removing or masking the noise.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]