FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic camera plans at NAB ?????

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Stephens
Panasonic camera plans at NAB ?????
on Mar 30, 2011 at 10:10:35 pm

Tomorrow is the last day for the $2,000 rebate on the Panasonic HPX370. Has anyone heard about Panasonic plans for a 500 replacement to be shown at NAB ? Or something other than the HPX3100 as a step up from the 370 into a larger chip ?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Panasonic camera plans at NAB ?????
on Mar 30, 2011 at 11:42:07 pm

Panasonic will have a news conference on 4-10-11. New cameras will be announced then.

One camera that has been shown is a P2 camcorder from Hitachi. It's similar to the HPX-3100

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

John Stephens
on Mar 30, 2011 at 11:45:50 pm

Do you expect anything between the the 370 and the 3100 ?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Mar 31, 2011 at 3:34:31 am

I can only guess. 1/3" (HPX-180), 1/2" (HPX-400), and/or 2/3" (HPX-550) CCD with avc-intra.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Mar 31, 2011 at 4:11:21 pm

I would expect that the most exciting thing will be what fills the gap left by the discontinued HPX170. I doubt that the AF100 (as great as it is) is going to completely take over that market. There are a lot of cameras coming out right now and to be honest, there are still quality options for 2/3 shoulder mount cameras. Sure they can get better, but I think that the real question is what's going to be small and powerful? What, if any, will be Panasonic's answer to the Sony F3? What will replace the HPX170, which had some really ultra professional features (4:2:2 color, P2 recording, high bit-rates) at a great price.

But also, let's take a step back and recognize that Panasonic hit such a home run with the AF100, that this year when Sony releases the NEX-FS100, it looks like it will still be behind Panasonic in terms of build quality, functionality, and ergonomics. It will have the Super35 sensor, but if the camera is a pain to work with, then why put up with it?

Basically what I'm trying to say is that newer does not always mean better. What's important is what works best for your work and your style.

Panasonic HPX170 P
2008 Unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM
CalDigit VR
Final Cut Pro Studio 3
Avid Media Composer
The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]