FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing two cameras

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edwin Pieroelie
Syncing two cameras
on Mar 28, 2011 at 12:29:05 pm

Greetings all, I have a syncing camera issue and am posting both an idea and a question ....

Here's the idea.

Shouldn't it be possible to take 2 or more HD cameras, and set all their internal clocks to the same time, and so when you are in post production all you have to do is slip your footage files from one camera onto one line in your editor and they spread out evenly (and automatically) over the period of the shoot .... then you take the footage files from the other camera and put it on a line above or below the first line and VOILA, those move files also get spread out over time. When both cameras are shooting something at the same time, those files will overlap and so on and so on..... seems SO simple?? am I missing something on why this hasnt been done?? or has it?

Here's the question.

I just filmed a concert letting my Panasonic HDC TM700 capture the whole thing (THE MASTER) while I went off running around with my Panasonic HVX-172EN shooting bits here and there, interviewing people, etc.
Well now I would like to sync them and boy, is it a headache. I am using the master as a base and have about 100 files I have to sync one by one using the audio of the concert as a guide. And these are not easily distinguishable lyric filled rock songs ... these are flute and other woodwind based songs ....

If anyone can help that would be very much appreciated.

cheers from Jakarta

edwinp

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Syncing two cameras
on Mar 28, 2011 at 4:59:57 pm

This would require both camera to have tc in and out.

Unfortunately, they don't.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Edwin Pieroelie
on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:08:33 pm

Right Jeremy thanks, I guess I am just wondering (out loud) if this is really that hard to do? Isn't it a matter of a little bit of code directing the clock information on the camera to be placed into the metadata of the movie file?
Sure, if you were shooting for three days you could potentially have a three day timeline but I am talking about a 3 hour shoot, something simple. Syncing should be (theoretically) much much simpler to do than it is being done now.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:12:30 pm

[Edwin Pieroelie] " Syncing should be (theoretically) much much simpler to do than it is being done now."

Not without timecode. Sorry.

If it was easy and cheap, it would be on every camera.

What you need is something to take the camera date/time and turn it in to "tc".

Also, you could look at Plural Eyes which will sync two cameras using audio:

http://www.singularsoftware.com/pluraleyes.html

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]