FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Viewer can't see Caldigit copy of P2 Card

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Bond
P2 Viewer can't see Caldigit copy of P2 Card
on Mar 21, 2011 at 12:13:48 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my head round P2 and gradually getting there!

We've cut a piece on AMC 5 direct from a HPX-500E camera, retaining the files as AMA on their original P2 card and I now want to get the files off the P2 card for Archiving.

I've copied the contents of the Card onto a raided Caldigit VR Mini, turned the camera off, plugged the VR Mini into the Avid and hey presto - the footage is all there, happy days.

I can't see the footage using the P2 Viewer software though, I think I'm probably doing something really basically wrong but can someone tell me what that might be? There aren't many options on the Viewer software as far as I can tell.

I'm running an HP Z800 tower with Avid Media Composer 5.0. The Caldigit was reformatted to FAT 32 to work with the PC and Windows 7
Cheers

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: P2 Viewer can't see Caldigit copy of P2 Card
on Mar 21, 2011 at 12:34:55 pm

Please watch the tutorial here on the cow on tapeless workflow by Shane Ross. It will help you.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Alex Bond
on Mar 21, 2011 at 12:40:30 pm

Hi there, thanks but aren't those vids Mac and FCP based?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Mar 21, 2011 at 12:51:53 pm

They're View IN YOUR Web Browser Based.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 22, 2011 at 12:37:52 am

Well, my tutorial is mainly targetted towards FCP. But the first few minutes is all about backing up the footage. You must back up the FULL card. Not a few folders from it, the FULL card, in order for a few things to work from them properly. Avid doesn't need the full structure, so it will work fine. But P2 Viewer, and FCP won't.

here's the tutorial: Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex Bond
on Mar 24, 2011 at 2:16:43 pm

Thanks Shane,

I did back up the full card, what I was missing was setting up the Virtual P2 card in the P2 reader - as I wasn't familiar with the software I missed the tiny little Icon which is supposed to represent setting up a new virtual card.

Did that and the footage all popped up on the Reader.

I was also thrown by the P2 Camera partitioning the Caldigit drive - looks like it automatically creates a new partition every time you copy a card to it, meanwhile a PC will only see media on the Caldigit and not the empty space left on it.

Cheers

A.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 24, 2011 at 10:35:52 pm

[Alex Bond] "I was also thrown by the P2 Camera partitioning the Caldigit drive - looks like it automatically creates a new partition every time you copy a card to it,"

Yup...that's what it does if you offload directly from the camera to the drive in TARGET mode.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]