FORUMS: list search recent posts

best way to ship equipment?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Robbins
best way to ship equipment?
on Feb 28, 2011 at 3:13:22 pm

We have a shoot in AZ and need to ship our equipment ahead of time. We have a lighting kit with a hard case (not padded though)- a tripod with a soft case and a panasonic p2 with accesories.

I was just going to get a large hard case with foam and put the panasonic in it,and ship it via fed ex (ship the tripod and lighting kit as-is)

Does anyone have advice or experience with this?

Return to posts index

Dale West
Re: best way to ship equipment?
on Mar 1, 2011 at 11:29:10 am

If you use Fed Ex you will get surcharges added if the items are not "boxed". They add charges if you ship in the case. They say its because the stuff packs better in the planes. I just shipped a lens to Boston in a pelican case and the up charge was $8.00 on top of the $48.00 they charged for shipping. By the time you figure the shipping costs each way for the lights and sticks it might be a better move to simply rent when you get there. Its worth examining. But if you must take your own stuff: Remove the bulbs from the fixtures. Pack the bulbs in tupperware with plenty of bubble wrap or foam. Try to find a hard case for the sticks. If you cant find one then take them to a shipping store and have them bubble wrap and then box them. Be sure to set all drags to the loosest. It might be wise to remove the pan handle as well.

I would recommend that you carry your camera and enough batteries and cards to shoot for 1 day. If there is a shipping meltdown you will be able to find some sticks and lights and still be able to get some shooting done. Plus no matter how well you pack it there is always the chance of damage. I ALWAYS carry my camera. But if there are requirements that you ship then a padded soft case inside of a well padded shipping case and a few minutes on the prayer rug before.
Good luck

Dale West Video
North Miami, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved