FORUMS: list search recent posts

I know...I know, but I need to get P2 ftg into Movie Maker

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Humphreys
I know...I know, but I need to get P2 ftg into Movie Maker
on Feb 18, 2011 at 3:37:25 am

Sorry people, but we all have these clients....

I have scoured for a definitive answer, but I need a quick answer to a fail safe way to convert P2 footage for use in....tiny bit of vomit coming up....Windows Movie Maker.

We shot for three days on P2, some footage in widescreen DV and some in 720p (by habit) and now the client wants the footage so that they can edit it themselves in movie maker. The footage is still in the raw P2 condition.

We are on macs...they are on PCs. We finally convinced them that they can use mov files although they asked for WMV, and wanted us to convert all clips to that format. I would love to batch these clips, but am thinking I may also need to just ingest all of the clips in final cut and then export one long sequence. I'm aware of the possible 4gb limitation on files in movie maker, but I have never used that program so I'm not familiar with it at all. What are your thoughts?

Any takers? Thanks a million!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: I know...I know, but I need to get P2 ftg into Movie Maker
on Feb 18, 2011 at 12:33:13 pm

Charge them for every hour you work on this. Having to bend over backwards to get this professional format into a very consumer editing package...one not designed to work with P2...is on them. They COULD get Sony Vegas and deal with the Raw P2 media. But no...they want you to provide them with editable media in WMV format. And for that you need to purchase software that will do that.

Flip4Mac...the higher end one. Because you need to purchase this, you need to charge them the time it takes to do it. Normally you shoot and hand the clients the raw footage. But if they then request further services...time to pay.

Not sure how to avoid that 4GB limit on the PC drive format though...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Humphreys
on Feb 18, 2011 at 4:08:22 pm

Thanks Shane, I'm actually reading a post you left on the Apple discussion page that spells much of this out. Tons of good info in that post:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=12912111

I understand what the problems are of course, but can't figure out a fast way to explain this all to the client who thinks I'm saying Kodak. Ha!

Chris

Return to posts index

Jurgen Hoppe
on Feb 18, 2011 at 9:56:06 pm

After all, your problem has to be solved. I would run all .MXF files through raylight software (license: US 100) creating .mov reference files. Then you select all reference files files and dump them in MPEG Streamclip (free software from squared5.com), then export adequate file format. Charge your client the US$ 100 for the software and some computer hours and you are through, best luck.

Return to posts index

James Gravelle
on Jun 15, 2011 at 7:39:26 pm

I have to deal with such all the time.

SUGGESTION: Since they are using a PC, why not (and I'm sure this is water long under the bridge) suggest that they spend $69 on Premiere Elements to work with your raw files. Would save them quite a bit of money compared to your conversion efforts. And (I so hate to say this as it will be evidence that I have used WMM) Premiere Elements and WMM are quite similar.

james =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]